Tuning satellite receivers

Digital ATV - The latest generation, cutting edge ATV - Please discuss it all here.
Forum rules
This forum is run by the BATC (British Amateur Television Club), it is service made freely available to all interested parties, please do not abuse this privilege.

Thank you
g8vpg

Tuning satellite receivers

Post by g8vpg » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:20 pm

I have recently been tuning a number of satellite receivers using a local signal across the bench. I had great difficulty tuning the 437MHz channels, using an upconverter which moved the frequency up 900MHz. Several receivers were seeing a very strong signal but would not decode a picture and store a channel. To cut a long story short, the signal seemed to be too strong and adding some attenuation allowed it to decode the picture and store a channel. It seems that with signal and quality indication over about 85%, some receivers won't add a new channel. I've not come across this before, it has foxed me for a couple of weeks, and I mention it here in case anyone else has this trouble or can explain why?
73 Shaun.

G8DKC

Re: Tuning satellite receivers

Post by G8DKC » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:26 am

Hi Shaun,

Will look into your comments, had some issues having to re-scan the Openbox V8S after in use for a while, on 1249 DVB-S2 1M/S 3/4 Fec.

But must also take into account the Datv-Express quality on various slow laptops this end, lot's of variables :-)

Thanks for the info, it could save us all some time, and the "too much signal" could go un-noticed.

Peter

Return to “DATV - Digital ATV”