HD datv with hackRF

Digital ATV - The latest generation, cutting edge ATV - Please discuss it all here.
Forum rules
This forum is run by the BATC (British Amateur Television Club), it is service made freely available to all interested parties, please do not abuse this privilege.

Thank you
on4bhm

HD datv with hackRF

Post by on4bhm » Sat Aug 13, 2016 7:28 pm

Hi all,

just to say, i was able to make a live transmission in HD with a hackRF (335 €) + a blackmagic decklink mini recorder (121 €) + hd camera with hdmi output + PA on 23cm. I could also use my webcam (=cheaper) with lesser video quality.

Used gnuradio on Linux with dvb-s2 example + obs (open broadcast software) on a i7 quad core pc.
video mixing and on screen tekst comes with obs.

this is certainly cheaper than a sr-systems solution. (1500 € for HD system)

73's
ON4BHM

vk3eme

Re: HD datv with hackRF

Post by vk3eme » Wed May 11, 2022 3:52 am

Good afternoon from down under.
I am looking to do the same with my HACKRF but I am not to up with gnuradio and was wandering if you would be able to send me some pointers on how you go about setting the modules up in gnuradio please. You can email me direct at vk3eme@gmail.com if you like.

Regards
Mark VK3EME
BENDIGO, VIC AU.

G4NZV

Post by G4NZV » Wed May 11, 2022 5:54 pm

A different way of using HackRF to transmit DVBS or DVBS2 is with an App called SDRangel. SDRangel can also be used as a DVBS receiver, I have had limited success as a DVBS2 receiver though it has that option.
OBS can be used to mange the video and audio selection and F1EJP FreeStreamCoder can then be used to send the UDP stream to SDRangel.
All this runs on my i5 Windows 10 PC.

GNU radio is not needed.

73 Steve

vk3eme

Post by vk3eme » Thu May 12, 2022 3:30 am

Thank you for the quick reply and I have had a dabble with SDRANGEL to receive with the hackRF but didn't think to use it for transmit. I will give it a try and see what happens. I use OBS a bit with my 1287 ATV system so that wont be a problem and I will have to see about F1EJP FreeStreamCoder then. Once again thank you.

Jabi

Post by Jabi » Thu May 12, 2022 4:41 am

Good morning Steve:
I am be very interesed in work QO-100 with Hack Rf. If it is possible, please, send instructions or *.doc for work (and play) with it.
73,s de Jabi, ea2aru.

Jabi

Post by Jabi » Thu May 12, 2022 4:45 am

Hi Steve:
If it is possible explain :
F1EJP FreeStreamCoder can then be used to send the UDP stream to SDRangel.
Not problem with OBS and udp send with it.
73,s de Jabi, ea2aru

G4NZV

Post by G4NZV » Thu May 12, 2022 9:06 am

Hi,

I have included a screenshot of OBS, F1EJP FreeStreamCoder and SDRangel transmitting a DVBS2 250KS testcard on 437MHz.

To send UDP from F1EJP to SDRangel select the configuration TAB on F1EJP and enter the same 'output IP Address UDP' and 'Port' as supplied in the DATV modulator window in SDRangel.

For clarity in the SDRangel window the top three sub-windows show how to use as a DATV demodulator (remember I have not had much success demodulating DVBS2. DVBS works fine). The bottom three sub-windows shows how to use as a DATV modulator.

NB It is NOT possible to receive and transmit (ie. Full Duplex) at the same time using a single HackRF. This screenshot shows HackRF as a 'transmitter'.

73 Steve G4NZV
Attachments
F1EJP and SDRangel and OBS.PNG
F1EJP and SDRangel and OBS.PNG (389.2 KiB) Viewed 4157 times

Jabi

Post by Jabi » Thu May 12, 2022 2:29 pm

Many tnx, but ... What version of SDR Angel you have used? The last version 10? Is possible send the configuration for it and for the HackRF?
73,s de Jabi, ea2aru.

G4NZV

Post by G4NZV » Thu May 12, 2022 4:58 pm

Hi,

I have used the latest experimental version of SDRangel which can be found here:
https://github.com/f4exb/sdrangel/releases
Currently it is v7.0.0-alpha.3

Sorry no configuration file, it is unlikely to work on your system anyway. I built the example shown in less than 1 minute just reproduce the screenshot. Follow the SDRangel quick start guide here:
https://github.com/f4exb/sdrangel/wiki/Quick-start-v7

Steve G4NZV

vk3eme

Post by vk3eme » Fri May 13, 2022 10:05 am

Well I have downloaded the latest SDRANGEL and installed it and get it started but when I go to select the HackRF unit the program crashes. I have uninstalled the latest one and restarted the computer and reinstalled the previous version and once again it opens OK but as soon as I select the hackRF devise once again it crashes. Has anyone else had this problem and over come it????

Return to “DATV - Digital ATV”