Build your own USB tuner- will work with Minitioune

Digital ATV - The latest generation, cutting edge ATV - Please discuss it all here.
Forum rules
This forum is run by the BATC (British Amateur Television Club), it is service made freely available to all interested parties, please do not abuse this privilege.

Thank you
M0LDZ

Re: Build your own USB tuner- will work with Tutioune

Post by M0LDZ » Sun May 17, 2015 11:23 am

Good Afternoon Charles -

That's very encouraging then, since we do have an I2C port on the TS-DOCK.

Is there any chance you or someone could kindly forward me a data sheet on the tuner and pinout of your PCB where the USB board would normally go?

Sounds like it might be a simple 'wires only' interface but a bit of work to control the tuner from our DTX1 CPU and we might be able to make a repeater. The matter of station ID / callsign would presumably be the issue i.e. could we generate a supporting set of data by pressing the FPGA mux into service on our DTX1 board to add those... I'm not sure. I will ask Carl M0ICS.

Laurence

ps my email is support@dtx1.info for all such matters :)

G4GUO

Post by G4GUO » Sun May 17, 2015 11:45 am

I will let someone directly involved in the project supply the electrical interface to you but
it should just be a wires only job.

Here a picture of my hack.
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-jiOH6F_Qh84/V ... CF7428.JPG

The real issue is that the chips used are under an NDA , we hacked the Linux drivers, mostly you can use a table
to set the registers up and after that there are just a few registers that need changing to change the symbol rate
and frequency.

- Charles

g8gtz

Re: Eardatek connections / update

Post by g8gtz » Mon May 18, 2015 9:42 am

Jean Pierre has posted a schematic of the tuner module here:
http://www.vivadatv.org/viewtopic.php?f ... 2d3f#p1079

Note this is for the Samsung tuner and NOT the Eardatek unit which we have on order.

However, he has also posted details of the differences between the Samsung and Eardatek pin out here:
http://www.vivadatv.org/viewtopic.php?f=80&t=375

This should give you enough detail to get a strip board version going when the tuners arrive (hopefully by the middle of next week) or a DTX1 TS dock interface.

Re shop stock -

Note that whilst we have ordered 100 units, 60 of these are for Jean Pierre and the French ATV community. This means we will have 40 units available in the BATC shop.

Note we currently only have 4 USB modules available - if you are planning to order one with a tuner please let us know so we can order some more if needed.

BTW - the 1v regulator is not easily available, should we get some in stock?

g8vpg

Post by g8vpg » Mon May 18, 2015 11:34 am

Noel,
I will definitely order a usb module and tuner once they are in. I would be grateful if you could supply as many of the components as you consider worthwhile, because I find sourcing components one of the most tedious and frustrating part of any project!
73 Shaun.

g8gtz

Post by g8gtz » Mon May 18, 2015 10:19 pm

Been looking at the rest of the components needed and they are currently on ebay UK and delivery within a couple of days so we will not be stocking them in the shop.

The parts are as follows - 1 volt regulator (note there is the same part number in a 1.2v version):
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/391022177920

74HC10 from same supplier:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271437774912

You will also need a converter PCB to mount the voltage regulator on:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251742367108

And a 3.3 volt regulator but they are easy to get - even Maplin sell them :-)

Noel - G8GTZ

G4EWJ

Post by G4EWJ » Tue May 19, 2015 2:02 pm

M0LDZ wrote:Hello everyone;

This might seem like a really dumb question / suggestion, if so I apologise in advance!

Is there any chance, I wonder, that the PCB layout could also provide a header with a PARALLEL transport stream output e.g. 8 data bits, a clock, and a sync byte indication signal, all 3v3 logic level, and ground? The reason for the question is that if so, we could 'mate' this with the TS-DOCK PCB for the DTX1 and be well on the way to a fully digital repeater (or could we?)

Comments welcome

Laurence M0LDZ
Is there a standard for this type of output - clock / sync / polarity / phase etc?

Brian

G4GUO

Post by G4GUO » Tue May 19, 2015 3:31 pm

I am using the STB0899 which is a predecessor to the STV0903 used in the NIMs BATC are selling.

There are two main modes parallel mode and serial mode and there are also 2 main clock modes.
variable clock and fixed clock. All of these are software programmable. You can also choose to
invert the inverted SYNC flag byte or pass it through.

- Charles GUO

F6DZP

Post by F6DZP » Tue May 19, 2015 8:45 pm

Hello,

I don't know exactly what need the input port on DTX1, but I think we could provide all signals that are needed. we have "8 data bits, a clock, and a sync byte indication signal, all 3v3 logic level, and ground"

Jean-Pierre F6DZP

M0LDZ

Post by M0LDZ » Thu May 21, 2015 6:52 pm

Hi Jean-Pierre

The signals we need are on our P1 Connector....
a) EXT_TSCLK is the main transport stream byte clock.(Clock for Each byte)
b) EXT_PSYM is the TS Sync input, this should be high during the first byte
of each TS Packet. (i.e. During the SYNC Bytes).
c) EXT_DVLM can be held high at all times (Enabled).
d) EXT_STD0:7 are the input data lines for the TS byte stream.

Oh and a common ground too!

I hope that helps let me know if it can be done, it looks like it can!

Laurence

F6DZP

Post by F6DZP » Fri May 22, 2015 6:37 am

Hi Laurence,

Yes we have all this signals at lvttl level.
So it seems it could be easy to interface the NIm with the DTX1 for direct digital transfert.

Jean-Pierre F6DZP

Return to “DATV - Digital ATV”