Running without Goonhilly?

Discuss ZR6TG's OpenTuner DATV Receiver software for Windows here
g8ayc

Running without Goonhilly?

Post by g8ayc » Thu Mar 30, 2023 2:58 pm

Today's Goonhilly web monitor outage highlighted something I've often thought about. I've always thought that relying on web access to Goonhilly to get tuning information was a bit of a cheat. It also means that you have to have access to the Internet in order to receive pictures. Today, all rx software hung because there was no access to Goonhilly.

I therefore wondered if it was possible to add the facility to scan the band using the Minitiouner. I think The 'Scan and Tioune' software by Jean-Pierre F6DZP does this.

73 Nigel G8AYC

M5TXJ

Re: Running without Goonhilly?

Post by M5TXJ » Thu Mar 30, 2023 3:20 pm

Band viewer with an sdr does this for you...

73 Dave
...are you sure I can't use a pair of 813's?... :shock:

G4FKK

Post by G4FKK » Thu Mar 30, 2023 3:36 pm

Also, if you have an AirSpy SDR and Pi4, Tom, ZR6TG, has written some code for an off-line spectrum monitor incorporating QuickTune. I know Tom's working on making use of the 2nd channel output of a minituner V2. Maybe he could incorporate that into his software to avoid having to buy another SDR?

Tom's code is here

https://www.zr6tg.co.za/2022/06/29/offl ... -with-sdr/

73, Martin

g8ayc

Post by g8ayc » Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:13 am

One, hopefully small, useful step would be to allow OpenTuner to run without hanging in the absence of Goonhilly. At least that would allow entering frequencies and symbol rates manually.

zr6tg

Post by zr6tg » Fri Mar 31, 2023 6:30 pm

Hi All,

Yes, the outage definitely highlighted a few issues. In the short term I have added a DISABLEQO100 command line parameter that will allow you to disable the QO-100 specific items like the chat and spectrum. It can definitely be done a bit more elegantly, but this also works for now. It will be part of the next release later this weekend.

For longer term I would like to implement a type of bandviewer using an sdr directly into open tuner since there are quite a few people that contacted me that is not in the qo-100 footprint, but also still playing with DATV. Its on the list :)

Scanning the band using the minitiouner is possible. My understanding is that it uses the 2nd tuner on the nim module. I'll need to play a bit with it to figure it out, but its lower priority as I would rather use the 2nd tuner for a second TS output.

There are many ways to get an offline spectrum in the shack, but the missing link is the qo-100 chat which is currently only available via the internet.

Tom

PE1BR

Post by PE1BR » Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:31 pm

You could use A RTL-SDR in combination with Satsagen.
It's most basic but it will give you A spectrum view.

Pa3fbx

Post by Pa3fbx » Sat Apr 01, 2023 8:49 am

Using some offline option is my preferance as well..
Being in the field on portable operation internet is not allways an option..
creating a local network is not a problem so some solution with a raspberry server and a sdr receiver would be sufficient.
Using an airspy off 250 euro might be a bit out off reach. why not use the pluto rx side as a lot of stations use it allready for tx datv..
Internet sollutions should be the last option for us hams.. but apparently we have gone the wrong way somewhere...

Unselecting goonhilly is not a bad way to go tom.. but now think about a better way to select a received signal...

Benno

Return to “OpenTuner DATV Receive Software”