Video showing installation of Cariboulite.

Discussions about using the CaribouLite Hat for ATV and Microwave
g8lce

Video showing installation of Cariboulite.

Post by g8lce » Thu Apr 13, 2023 8:02 am

So I have put together a video of how I got my Cariboulite to work!
I use the Dragon operating system which has many extra programs with it.
I start from a used SD card and format it with SD format program.
Then I use Win32Diskimage to write the operating system to the SD card.
Once installed in the RPi the Dragon OS boots up.
User:ubuntu
Password:dragon
You can find the IP address of the RPi on your LAN using Advanced IP Scanner.
The using VNC Viewer you can log onto the RPi and view the 'screen'.
Next you have to follow the instructions from

https://github.com/cariboulabs/cariboulite/issues/94

and copy and paste into a terminal window opened on the Dragon screen (it is bottom left)
There are a few things you can get wrong from here but I have tried to show every bit.

One thing that needs to be done is sudo sdrpp --server to run the server so the soapy program can see the Cariboulite.

Video link:

https://youtu.be/Jq10ZknbSKk

Hope this helps.

Martin G8LCE

g8lce

Re: Video showing installation of Cariboulite.

Post by g8lce » Fri Apr 14, 2023 8:35 am

If you switch the Cariboulite and RPi off then when you switch it back on you will have to open a terminal window and enter the command

sudo sdrpp --server

before running SDR++ so it will see the Cariboulite and then you can connect to it.

Maybe someone could write a script that would run on startup to do this. I am not an expert with these things!!

Martin G8LCE

Basil

Post by Basil » Fri Apr 14, 2023 10:02 am

Thanks for taking the time and trouble to make such a comprehensive video Martin, very interesting and useful.

dc1op

Post by dc1op » Sun Apr 16, 2023 11:11 am

Hi Martin,
very interesting. In parallel to your activity and because my caribou is still underway, decided to check out Dragon using an RTL Stick and as signal source the local FM Station. Loaded Dragon on a 32gigs SD card and inserted it in a Raspi 3 connected to the original 7" screen and a mouse only.

The system booted after entering the PW using the softscreen keyboard. In the toolbox I found SDR++ (in HAM) and sdrangel and sdrangel--server.

Next step was to connect the RTL Stick and started SDR++ --> the stick was found immediatly and upon inputting the local FM Station frequency the peak appeared in the SA section. Activating the WFM Demodulator in return activated the AF audio indicator. Connecting an earphone to the rpi delivered sound from the FM Station. Playback was frequently interrupted for some ms. (That needs later clarification)

Repeated the afore exercise using sdrangel: Sdrangel did not find the RTL Stick but used "something", which produced funny indications in the SA and waterfall windows. There was no audio at all.
The source list for SDR devices in sdrangel does list a few devices like airspy and others. That derivates from the actual sdrangel description as the RTL Stick should be also in this list. It may well be the case, that the sdrangel version in the Dragon Toolbox is not the most actual version . (That needs later clarification too)

There is still a little bit to do while waiting for the caribou.
73, Hubertus, dc1op

g8lce

Post by g8lce » Wed Apr 26, 2023 4:59 am

Ofcourse if I had read all the information that comes with the operating system under getting started, then I would have answered some of my questions!
Now going to try the DragonOS on a ex Windows machine as well.
It seems to be a very good OS for SDR radio. Weather it will do DATV or not I will find out.....

Martin G8LCE

M0PAI

Post by M0PAI » Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:27 pm

Hi Martin,

Any updates on if this is any good for DATV?

Adrian M0PAI

Return to “CaribouLite RPi Hat”