CaribouLite RPi HAT

Discussions about using the CaribouLite Hat for ATV and Microwave
G4ZCN

Re: CaribouLite RPi HAT

Post by G4ZCN » Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:48 am

Crowd Supply Cariboulite has arrived, not sure if anybody else has received theirs and what progress they have made making it useful?
Barry
G4ZCN
E: b.grylls@ntlworld.com

g8lce

Post by g8lce » Wed Mar 15, 2023 12:06 pm

I have received mine!

Martin G8LCE

radiogareth

Post by radiogareth » Wed Mar 15, 2023 1:15 pm

Yes, me too a few weeks ago. Now desperately hoping someone clever will write some useful (to us) software for it ;-)
Gareth

g0mjw

Post by g0mjw » Wed Mar 15, 2023 2:09 pm

It works with SoapySDR (sort of) if you modify the source code to fixe the Q=I, I=Q bug. Then you can use Gnuradio, SDRAngel etc. Best use something more capable that a Pi Zero 2W.

Mike

g8lce

Post by g8lce » Wed Mar 15, 2023 5:03 pm

I have just put the Cariboulite onto a RPi 4 which is running the latest desktop from RPi. I went to the Internet browser and found https://github.com/cariboulabs/cariboulite and followed the instructions. If you do this when you get to step 4 you have to ./install.sh rather than just install.sh

That is as far as I have got so far....

Martin G8LCE

PS. Then it stopped at installing soapy SDR!!

g4eml

Post by g4eml » Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:09 pm

Hi Martin,

I haven't got mine yet but I have been following some of the GitHub discussions.

You are not alone, it appears that, despite the amount of extra time they have had, the software is not ready for general use yet. They seem to be very slow at sorting things out. People have managed to get things partially working but there doesn't appear to be a procedure that is reliable.

Disappointing, I had hoped that this would be a useful device, but I am now not so sure!

I am still hoping to get Langstone working with it once my devices actually arrive.

Colin G4EML

G4ZCN

Post by G4ZCN » Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:58 pm

Colin,
you are quite welcome to test with my new Cariboulite and a new boxed Pi4 (2GB) if that helps?
To be honest I was rather hoping for something a little more plug and play, probably expecting too much.
best regards,
Barry
Barry
G4ZCN
E: b.grylls@ntlworld.com

g0mjw

Post by g0mjw » Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:04 pm

g4eml wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:09 pm
Hi Martin,

I haven't got mine yet but I have been following some of the GitHub discussions.

You are not alone, it appears that, despite the amount of extra time they have had, the software is not ready for general use yet. They seem to be very slow at sorting things out. People have managed to get things partially working but there doesn't appear to be a procedure that is reliable.

Disappointing, I had hoped that this would be a useful device, but I am now not so sure!

I am still hoping to get Langstone working with it once my devices actually arrive.

Colin G4EML
It would be good if you could feed this back, the more that do it might make a difference. The IQ swap issue was fixed a couple of weeks ago but still hasn't made it into the main branch. The instructions do now work, if you have the correct distribution, but there are still bugs and issues not being addressed. It doesn't need that more much to make it work properly.

g4eml

Post by g4eml » Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:43 pm

Hello Barry,

Thanks for the offer, however I hope my boards will be dispatched soon. I thought I was one of the early supporters but maybe not. The fact I ordered one of each type might also be a factor. I suppose the good point is that the software might be a bit closer to working when they arrive.

Yes, the pre-launch hype seemed to indicate that everything was simple, almost plug and play. Assuming there is no underlying design problem it will hopefully get fixed eventually and there is no reason why a pre-built SD card image can't be made available. Or at least a reliable script like Dave does for the Portsdown. If I can get Langstone working that's what I will try to do.

Colin G4EML

g8lce

Post by g8lce » Thu Mar 16, 2023 8:48 am

We have been spoilt by Dave's instructions for the Portsdown and Ryde SD card builds. Now many of us expect the same for this CaribouLite RPi HAT.

Is it time for a new board index position for the CaribouLite RPi HAT ?

Martin G8LCE

Return to “CaribouLite RPi Hat”