Winterhill headless?

The place for discussion about the 4-channel WinterHill DATV Receiver
DL5BCA

Winterhill headless?

Post by DL5BCA » Fri Aug 04, 2023 6:28 pm

Hello,

after I've got the Winterhill Receiver running with Tom's client, I'm considering running the Winterhill Receiver headless.
How do I set this up?

Is the port to the front panel working?

Is it provided in the Winterhill software that i can end the Winterhill software with the "Power" signal from the front panel and shut down the Raspberry in a controlled manner?

Maybe someone has already done this?

73 Thomas DL5BCA
73 Thomas
DL5BCA

G4EWJ

Re: Winterhill headless?

Post by G4EWJ » Sat Aug 05, 2023 1:15 pm

The standard WH software doesn't look at the front Ryde socket.

For headless mode in the standard WH software, in winterhill.ini, set BOOT to anyhub or multihub. I don't know about Tom's application.

To shut WH down remotely from Windows, create a file whsd.bat and put into it:

ssh pi@192.168.1.234 sudo shutdown now

using your own IP address.

When whsd.bat is run, it will ask for the RPi password and log in and shut it down.

You'll get a security warning first time.

Brian

DL5BCA

Re: Winterhill headless?

Post by DL5BCA » Sun Aug 06, 2023 10:14 am

Hello Brian

Thanks for the answer.

I created the batch file. It works fine.

However, I am thinking of building something with a button, an Arduino and relays that will power down the whole Winterhill.
The Arduino is supplied with voltage via a button until a relay picks up, then the Arduino gets its supply from the switched voltage.
The button is queried after one minute after the relay has been activated and the Winterhill has been supplied with voltage. So you can also control the shutdown routine with the Arduino. This means that a gpio must be queried on the Raspi using Python. This can then cause the Raspberry to shut down. After an orderly shutdown, the relay will be turned off and the Arduino will also turn itself off.

That's my idea. Thus, both the entire Winterhill and the small Arduino would be switched off.
I still have a Nano, later you could use a small Attiny85 etc.

73 Thomas DL5BCA
73 Thomas
DL5BCA

Return to “The WinterHill DATV Receiver”