Recent VLC update.

The place for discussion about the 4-channel WinterHill DATV Receiver
G4EWJ

Recent VLC update.

Post by G4EWJ » Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:27 pm

Seeing the problems that Portsdown and Ryde were having after the recent VLC update, I built a new WH SD card to see if there were any implications for WH in LOCAL mode. As far as I can see, WH shouldn't do any Linux updates automatically, so existing systems shouldn't be unaffected.

The first surprise was that the beacon was displaying on window 3 as well as window1. You don't normally see the beacon on window 3, because there's something about it that the hardware decoder doesn't like. Window 1 is started with --codec ffmpeg to overcome this, but the software codec uses lots of resources.

Another surprise was the ability to display more that one H.265 signal on windows 2,3,4. Usually this crashes VLC.

Initial tests indicate that video decoding is using lots more resources than before. It's as though the hardware decoders are not being used at all. With the 'new' VLC, the beacon is taking 75% of system resources with all VLC settings of the hardware decoder and also with --codec ffmpeg. With the 'old' VLC, the beacon takes 40% of resources . This is with the software codec, so you would expect less if the hardware decoder could actually decode it.

The net tonight will give me the opportunity to do more tests, switching from old to new systems after round 1. In the meantime, if you're using a 'new' VLC SD card, if you can, use ANYHUB mode and don't display video on the RPi. When displaying on the RPi, don't display the beacon and expect resources to be maxxed out if displaying more than 2 signals.

Brian

G4EWJ

Re: Recent VLC update.

Post by G4EWJ » Fri Jun 24, 2022 7:44 pm

I didn't get the chance to do as much testing as I would have liked, but it confirmed the large amount of resources that 'new' VLC consumes. G4FKK was using 60%, so it couldn't even cope with another similar signal.

I'll converse with Dave when he gets back, to see if the Portsdown fix is suitable for WH.

Brian

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Post by G8GKQ » Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:19 am

We have yet to get to the bottom of the implications of the VLC update for WinterHill build, but initial indications are:
  • If you are using WinterHill to drive networked VLC (on an external PC or a MAC), WinterHill operation is unaffected.
  • To make new builds of WinterHill work with VLC on the Raspberry Pi display, you should uncomment the line

Code: Select all

#dtoverlay=vc4-fkms-v3d
    in /boot/config.txt (using "sudo nano /boot/config.txt" from the command line), and then reboot.
Old builds are not affected, unless you try to update (DON'T!).

Dave, G8GKQ

g6hfs

Post by g6hfs » Wed Jan 04, 2023 12:23 am

Hi,

Are there any updates on the horizon for this VLC issue.

Brian (G6HFS)

Return to “The WinterHill DATV Receiver”