Jetson nano and winter hill

The place for discussion about the 4-channel WinterHill DATV Receiver
G7JTT

Jetson nano and winter hill

Post by G7JTT » Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:41 am

Morning all silly question but would a jetson nano work in place of the raspberry pi 4 ? I believe the gpio pins are compatible but I guess the code would need to be changed to use jetson.gpio and possible use another video player than VLC (not yet working on the nano). This would be neat as the nano is now just collecting dust after the laptop upgrade. Anyway just a thought 🤔

73 John G7JTT

g0mjw

Re: Jetson nano and winter hill

Post by g0mjw » Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:44 am

I think that would be really difficult software wise - Jetson might be better as a 4xVLC display though.

Mike

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Post by G8GKQ » Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:52 am

Agreed.

The Raspberry Pi driver used to communicate with the PICs on the Advanced DATV Receiver PCB is bespoke to the Raspberry Pi. So better to use the Jetson as a display device and controller.

Dave

G7JTT

Post by G7JTT » Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:00 pm

Well I did say it was a silly question :roll: , but at least I now know so I can go ahead and order a Raspberry pi 4. thanks for the replies.

73 John G7JTT

g0mjw

Post by g0mjw » Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:23 pm

Not a silly question. A good idea but one that would need much development work. There is also the minor issue that the Nano will not fit on the current PCB very well.

One for Brian and Dave is if we replaced the PI4 with a PI3 would it still work as a server? This might be interesting to many members who have a PI3 lying around from an earlier, now abandoned project.

Mike

G4EWJ

Post by G4EWJ » Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:03 pm

Before Raspberry Pi4, there was only one enhanced SPI port and each NIM needs an enhanced SPI port, so an RPi3 (or even earlier) may work as a dual receiver.

I'm not familiar with the Jetson Nano, but I had a quick look at the data sheet and it has two SPI ports. They operate in slave mode, whereas the RPi4 enhanced SPI ports don't, so in theory you could connect them both directly to one NIM. They work up to 45M bit/s in slave mode, so should cope with the BBC transponder on 11996MHz.

The Jetson Nano could interface to the two PICs to give a quad receiver, but as Dave said, it would need a custom driver to be written.

Brian

Return to “The WinterHill DATV Receiver”