Initial Test, please

Discussion about the Knucker DVB-T Tuner DVB-T Receive Software. See also https://wiki.batc.org.uk/Knucker
G0LJF

Initial Test, please

Post by G0LJF » Thu Nov 04, 2021 3:02 pm

NB: I did not build my MT, so I did not know, but BUT YOU MUST READ THE MT v2 BATC WIKI FIRST as this is a near identical board.

Hi,

Can I do any initial testing please to verify correct operation with just a new V3 Knucker board.

This is what I have done:

a) Build all, clean PCB and check for continuity or shorts. No jumper on CONN_01X02 "Alt 5V".
b) Power up on J5 "DC_Jack" 2.1mm plug with +12V from bench PSU, limited at 0.5A.
c) Set MP1584 Module, U4, OP voltage to +5.05 V manually with preset first.
d) Install +5V jumper on CONN_01X02 "Alt 5V".
e) Check D3 LED glows with +5V
f) Check 1.2V and both 3.3V regulators are working
g) Iq, PSU current shows = 220mA.

h) Plug in USB. Windows 7.
i) Iq drops to about 22mA, and two new "USB Controllers" Appear in Device Manager, "USB Serial Converter A" and "USB Serial Converter B".

j) Disconnect USB, but Iq remains unchanged at 22mA.

k) Power cycle +12V PSU - Iq returns to 220mA.

l) Try ONLY USB connection, and not any +12V on J5. Iq is negligible. No D3 glow and no regulator voltages on test points.

Is this working, please?

PlugInUSB.jpg
PlugInUSB.jpg (129.06 KiB) Viewed 6240 times
NoUSB.jpg
NoUSB.jpg (122.56 KiB) Viewed 6240 times
Iq problem solved. Initial current surge was about 0.6A so increase the PSU limit! I will leave this post up for anyone else...

Iq now 104mA with no USB connection, but then this drops to about 40mA on USB plug-in. A power cycle is still needed to restore the 104mA value.

Is there any other PC/RPi test program I can try? I am going to build a Ryde next.....

73, Mike G0LJF
Last edited by G0LJF on Sat Nov 06, 2021 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Re: Initial Test, please

Post by G8GKQ » Thu Nov 04, 2021 4:47 pm

Hi Mike

Your Windows PC seems to be successfully talking to the FTDI USB module on the Knucker PCB, but that is all it will ever do, as there is no Windows software for the Knucker.

Your next test should be to connect it to a Ryde or a Portsdown and see if it works. Some would say that should have been your first test!

Dave

G0LJF

Post by G0LJF » Thu Nov 04, 2021 4:57 pm

Thanks Dave,

I am cautious - I don't connect anything to anything else unless I know the power consumption/voltage is OK.

F6DZP has Windows test programs for MT.

I don't want to fry anything else unless I have to. Done this too many times. Better to take it steady.

Just built a Ryde - I will try that now. The SW install was a dream. 11 mins only. Thanks to you no doubt.

Mike

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Post by G8GKQ » Thu Nov 04, 2021 5:14 pm

Hi John

I meant that your first test with a computer should have been with a Ryde. I totally agree about doing DC tests first.

Good luck

Dave

G0LJF

Post by G0LJF » Thu Nov 04, 2021 5:27 pm

No problem, Dave:

The good news is my brand new RPi Ryde DOES speak to the brand new Knucker. "It lives Igor" as they say.
What is the chance of me getting two brand new things working in one go (don't answer, the odds are against us all).

Shame there is no DVB-T signal to receive, but that can wait for the next test... I do have my P2020 of course. That does DVB-T Tx now, apparently.

I may now try a domestic DVB-T TV channel, despite this being with narrow bandwidth equipment, but I believe that this really does (just about) work?
For a quick Knucker Rx system test only; I read some people are not happy about using domestic TV signals, but why not just test, then move on?

I am happy now all is appearing to be working well. No actual picture yet, but almost there. Thanks again.

Mike

Return to “The Knucker DVB-T Tuner and Receive Software”