KNUCKER is able to receive also 8M DVB-T2 ?

Discussion about the Knucker DVB-T Tuner DVB-T Receive Software. See also https://wiki.batc.org.uk/Knucker
DD0CW

KNUCKER is able to receive also 8M DVB-T2 ?

Post by DD0CW » Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:54 am

I set up my KNUCKER board and wanted to do a first test to see whether I can use it to watch our normal public DVB-T2.
I have a very powerful public DVB-T2 station here nearby.
And my commercial TV device can receive everything with 100% quality and field strength.
The station has 3 transponders with 8 MHz bandwidth and 8 programs each.

I know, of course, that the KNUCKER is only designed for up to 2MHz, but there is no harm in trying.

In principle it works, but I can only see the first programs of each channel and it is quite interrupted.

Is that so normal because of the limited possibilities of the KNUCKER ?

Just for comparison: The MiniTiouner from Jean-Pierre can decode much wider DVB-S2 signals.
And the hardware is very similar, a standard NIM that delivers a finished TS and the same USB mini module.

G8YTZ

Re: KNUCKER is able to receive also 8M DVB-T2 ?

Post by G8YTZ » Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:55 pm

Likewise, I did the testing of both my receivers on 482MHz (Crystal Palace). all I have to do now is to work out how to change channels! :-) I've also used Minitiouner to decode dual channel DATV.

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Post by G8GKQ » Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:58 pm

Hi Frank

The Knucker can receive 8 MHz DVB-T2 but, as you say, the system is not designed for it.

You don't say what receive system you are using?
  • Ryde?
  • Portsdown using internal VLC and 7 inch screen?
  • Portsdown using UDP output and VLC on an external PC?
On all the systems above you can receive the other programs on the channel - you just need to enter the program number in the settings or select it on VLC.

But the system is designed for reduced-bandwidth amateur TV. If it sort-of works for broadcast TV, then the system clearly works. Time to start testing with amateur TV signals.

Alternatively, you could write some software to make it work flawlessly with broadcast signals, but I don't see the point when you can buy a set-top box for the same price as a few beers.

Dave, G8GKQ

DD0CW

Post by DD0CW » Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:32 am

Thanks for the answers.

I'm using the combination of Raspberry 4 and the KNUCKER board, what's called RYDE.
But of course only the SSH part for DVB-T.
And I'm using a monitor for FHD via HDMI connected to the Raspi.

It could be a good idea trying to get the TS out of the Raspi over network for a VLC on my Windows PC.
But don't know how ( until now ).

And of course I have tried the different program numbers ( 0 ... 7 ) but only 0 works.

Next step is to produce my own narrow DVB-T signal with F5OEO PLUTO firmware.

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Post by G8GKQ » Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:08 am

Frank

The Ryde is a set-top box. It is not designed to provide UDP out; that facility is only available on the Portsdown 4.

The easiest way to find the channel numbers is to examine the UDP out (from a Portsdown 4) using VLC and that can show you a list. The numbers are typically in the 100s.

Dave, G8GKQ

DD0CW

Post by DD0CW » Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:36 pm

Hello again,

now I have installed the Portsdown4 Software on my Raspberry4.
I have connected my KNUCKER to a USB-port of the Raspi also.
I'am connected via SSH to the Portsdown4, called 'menu' and get the menu.
But I cant find anything related to DVB-T RX like KNUCKER or so ... only RTL things.

What's wrong.
With RYDE is all ok, but how do I receive with KNUCKER and Portsdown4 and TS-Output via udp ?

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Post by G8GKQ » Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:38 pm

Frank

It's all controlled from the receiver menu on the touchscreen. There is no ssh menu for DVB-T reception on the Portsdown 4.

Dave

g0mjw

Post by g0mjw » Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:02 pm

DD0CW wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:36 pm
Hello again,

now I have installed the Portsdown4 Software on my Raspberry4.
I have connected my KNUCKER to a USB-port of the Raspi also.
I'am connected via SSH to the Portsdown4, called 'menu' and get the menu.
But I cant find anything related to DVB-T RX like KNUCKER or so ... only RTL things.

What's wrong.
With RYDE is all ok, but how do I receive with KNUCKER and Portsdown4 and TS-Output via udp ?
Hi Frank,

I think you are not understanding what each item is and what they each do. You seem to keep trying to do things that are not part of the function set and then asking why they don't work. How are you developing these expectations?

The Ryde is a set top box controlled by a remote control or buttons. It supports the Minitiouner and now has experimental support for the Knucker, controlled by the SSH menu. The images are displayed on the HDMI screen. They are not sent out via UDP. You are welcome to develop code to do that. https://wiki.batc.org.uk/Ryde_Receiver

The Portsdown 4 is a DVB-S/T transceiver controlled by a touch screen. https://wiki.batc.org.uk/Portsdown_4 It can receive DVB via a minitiuner or Knucker and displays it on the touch screen. It does have a UDP out mode, but is primarily designed for portable (not networked) operation.

Mike

DD0CW

Post by DD0CW » Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:54 pm

Hi Mike,

you asked:"How are you developing these expectations?"

I can tell you:
Yesterday a user of the AMSAT-chat, and I assume also user of the Portsdown4 wrote that it would be so easy :
"Just install Portsdown4 Software, you don't need the touch screen. Only SSH connect and so on."

You see, it is not my development.
I only believed what this guy was writing. But now I know it does not work this way.

Thanks, 73 gb.

g0mjw

Post by g0mjw » Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:54 pm

Hi Frank,

There is not a lot we can do about misinformation spread by others, but best rely only on the BATC forum and Wiki. Perhaps you could make a correction on the Amsat forum? Others may be expecting this too, especially those with little English who may not look at the BATC sites.

Mike

Return to “The Knucker DVB-T Tuner and Receive Software”