Commercial DVB-T/T2 Frequencies and Programme Numbers

Discussion about the Knucker DVB-T Tuner DVB-T Receive Software. See also https://wiki.batc.org.uk/Knucker
G8GKQ
Site Admin

Commercial DVB-T/T2 Frequencies and Programme Numbers

Post by G8GKQ » Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:33 pm

There was a question on the net last night about finding the Commercial DVB-T/T2 Frequencies and Programme Numbers. Two parts to this question: the first part can be solved by internet, the second needs a tuner and PC - I can't find the answer on the web.

To find your local channel frequencies, go to this website: https://ukfree.tv/transmitters/tv/Crystal_Palace. Scroll down and you'll see the Muxes listed with frequencies. The site is not particularly easy to navigate, but it does cover the whole country.

Then set up your Knucker and Portsdown, with the correct frequency, and a custom bandwidth of 8000 kHz. Make sure that the UDP is being sent to your PC, and then set up VLC on the PC looking at the udp stream (udp://@:1234). Select "Play to UDP Stream" on the Portsdown DVB-t/t2 receiver. If all is working, you'll be rewarded with an audio channel playing on VLC on your PC.

On VLC, select Tools, Codec Information, and you will see a long list. Scroll down until you see a TV Channel that you recognise/want and make a note of the Programme Number. This is what you will need to enter on the "TS Video Channel" on the Portsdown Receiver Config Page (in the next release) or in the Ryde Interim DVB-T receiver. You can also select the right programme in VLC by selecting Playback, Programme...

Dave, G8GKQ

radiogareth

Re: Commercial DVB-T/T2 Frequencies and Programme Numbers

Post by radiogareth » Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:13 pm

Interesting and helpful, certainly shows how versatile The Knucker/Portsdown/Ryde is, but its like using a Rolls Royce to spread manure ;-) (IMHO....)
Gareth

G1LPS Terry

Post by G1LPS Terry » Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:00 pm

thanks Dave that worked a treat :D

G4FKK

Post by G4FKK » Fri Jan 29, 2021 3:15 pm

That worked well Dave and many thanks for answering the question.

I'm watching BBC1; it's a bit "glltchy" despite showing SSI:96, SQI:100 and SNR 33. I imagine the Pi is working quite hard so probably not surprising.

For anyone else in the Crystal Palace TSA; Freq = 490MHz, BBC1 = ch 4164, BBC2 = ch 4287, BBC4 = ch 4544, BBC News = ch 4352 and Radio 4 = 6912.

73, Martin - G4FKK

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Post by G8GKQ » Fri Jan 29, 2021 4:01 pm

Hi Martin

Pleased that it worked.

It is a bit glitchy on the Ryde, but seems to be better on the Portsdown with the 7 inch screen (feature available in the next release in a few days).

Dave

G8YTZ

Post by G8YTZ » Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:19 am

I'm really struggling with this:
- I see the channels under Codec Information on VLC
- I see the EPG ok
- I see BBC1 London on 4164

But, whatever I select I get the same default channel. I did manage to select LBC on 482MHz though, but on 490MHz, always radio 1 Extra. I tried the current release and dev versions of the Portsdown.

I tried two receivers, I'm wondering if I made a a procedural mistake programming the USB interface (yes I did use the Knucker "combituner.xml" file!)

Justin.

g8gtz

Post by g8gtz » Sun Apr 18, 2021 12:17 pm

There are now 2 threads running on receiving commercial DVB-T services on Knucker - as has been said before, it was NOT designed to do this so can we just stop it.

Not only does any discussion serve to distract and load the design team (Dave), who is unable to resist helping people, it also encourages other people to try it and fail, thereby causing more support problems and unhappy cutomers!

If you want to receive Freeview services, please just go and buy a STB from Argos.

Noel

G8YTZ

Post by G8YTZ » Sun Apr 18, 2021 1:45 pm

I was more concerned that the fact mine did not work as above could point to another issue,m for example did I make a mistake in programming the USB interface, not that I particularly wanted to decode BBC1. That's the only part that I could have messed up.

G4GUO

Post by G4GUO » Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:25 pm

Justin,

No you have not made a mistake, if you had the Pi software would not have even identified the Knucker.

The NIM is capable of receiving a full T2 multiplex however the NIM/USB2 interface has not been stress tested at that bitrate.

As far as only being able to select one channel, that is an application / user issue.

As Noel says Knucker was only designed and tested for narrowband DVB-T.

- Charles

G8YTZ

Post by G8YTZ » Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:31 pm

Charles, yes, really the only reason to initially use BBC1 is to test a completed Knucker. Problem being is the Portsdown is also the Tx!

Thanks for confirming that my system is working, anyway I've received tow stations on the Knucker, so it must be working! :-)

Justin.

Return to “The Knucker DVB-T Tuner and Receive Software”