Knucker, what am I missing

Discussion about the Knucker DVB-T Tuner DVB-T Receive Software. See also https://wiki.batc.org.uk/Knucker
g1tzc

Knucker, what am I missing

Post by g1tzc » Sun Apr 07, 2024 12:22 pm

With the kind help of Steve, G8XPZ, we tested and proved working my Knucker, This was connected to his Portsdown software. Receive was confirmed as working as expected.

On returning home, I have connected to my Rasberry PI with the Ryde software but when I boot I get a lovely red screen with Source not Connected.

Is this what I should expect or am I missing some configureation somewhere?

The buttons on my converted front panel are working fine, bringing up all the menu's and OSD.

Many thanks in advance,

Neil.

g1tzc

Re: Knucker, what am I missing

Post by g1tzc » Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:48 am

By way of an update, I have played around with the Portsdown software and have that running. I don't have a touch screen so I have used the remote web control, which works perfectly.

My next question. How do I know if the Knucker is being seen by the software.

Sorry for all the questions,

Neil.

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Post by G8GKQ » Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:58 am

Hi Neil

Have you selected a DVB-T channel on your Ryde? The default channel is a DVB-S/S2 channel, so it will expect a MiniTiouner or Pico Tuner and show source not connected.

You need to go to one of the DVB-T channels and then wait for the firmware to be loaded into your Knucker. It should then start to work.

Dave

g1tzc

Post by g1tzc » Mon Apr 08, 2024 2:01 pm

Thanks Dave,

Following on from that, does that mean that the Knucker is the wrong tuner for Ryde?

It’s not a major issue as I want to go on to do the full Portsdown eventually.

Neil.

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Post by G8GKQ » Mon Apr 08, 2024 7:38 pm

Hi Neil

If you want to receive DVB-T you need a Knucker tuner with the Ryde. If you want to receive DVB-S or DVB-S2, you need a MiniTiouner or PicoTuner (they both do S and S2).

Most of the ATV activity in the UK and on QO-100 is DVB-S2 or DVB-S. There has been some experimentation with DVB-T, but DVB-S2 has generally proven to be more robust and give better results.

So it all depends what you want to receive.....

Dave

g1tzc

Post by g1tzc » Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:47 pm

Thanks Dave,

Yes it’s QO-100 that is my primary interest for this project, so I will put a Pico together and transfer it in.

Then transfer the Knucker to a Portsdown transceiver. Good to know that the Knucker works though.

Neil.

Return to “The Knucker DVB-T Tuner and Receive Software”