I have a problem to program my FT2232H interface for the Knucker receiver.
The one I have is one I have purchased long time ago from BATC (purchased two but
built only one Minitiouner at that time)
When using FT prog and applying the template (is it the rigth one ? it is called combituner.xml, not Knucker.xml) then I have a message "The template does not match the connected device type"
The device is shown as a FT4232H, not a FT2232H
But the module is a FT2232H (written on it)
What is wrong ?
It looks like you have another FTDI device plugged in to the PC - it says it is a USB to serial converter.
Make sure everything is unplugged from the USB ports, then plug in the FT2232H module (it must be on a PCB but does not need power) and then do a rescan.
It should find just one device that looks like this: https://wiki.batc.org.uk/File:Ftprog2.JPG
Then follow the instructions here: https://wiki.batc.org.uk/Knucker#USB_Module
Just programmed another 15 today and I must have programmed over 1,000 in the last 5 years!
Please check the connections are all good on your USB module. This topic describes a similar problem: viewtopic.php?f=105&t=5593&p=16432&hilit=FT4232H#p16432
When you are programming the modules do you just use a blank PCB or a fully built one?
I ask because I had a similar problem when programming my module with it plugged into a fully built Knucker. It corrupted the EEPROM in the module and it then didn't work. I had to erase the EEPROM using a second Module as a programmer. (As described in the FTDI Application note AN-136 "Hi-Speed Mini Module EEPROM Disaster Recovery") I then programmed the Module off the board (with the appropriate links).
I am wondering if the Knucker board is somehow causing problems when programming the module. (Possibly loading down the 3V3 supply which is used to power the EEPROM)
80% have been done on an old MT PCB which is only part populated - returned by a member when the NIM failed but with no voltage regulators.
I have a 2nd jig which is a blank Knucker PCB with just the USB module which works.
I have used a fully populated MT not powered up and it works but never a populated Knucker PCB.
A bare module will not work as it needs a short between 2 pins for the volts from the PC to get to the right place.
I don't think this is a jig/lead problem as it reads the data OK - it's just the wrong device.
Thanks for the answer. Like you I have programmed lots of FTDI chips (for another project) with FTPROG and this is the first time it has ever failed me.
It actually needs two links, the Vbus to to power the FT2232 chip and 3v3 to Vio to power the EEPROM.
The problem where the module identifies itself as an FT4232H occurs if the Vio is not linked. In that case the EEPROM on the module is not powered and the FT2232 chip can’t read its configuration. The clue is that FTPROG says No EEPROM detected.
It sounds like F1FAQs problem was a missing Vio.
I am still not sure what killed my module (and I am reluctant to try to reproduce the failure) but I have at least proved that a corrupt EEPROM can cause the same symptoms, as acknowledged by FTDI in their application note.