Ryde will not lock 125Ks or 66Ks

Discussions about the Ryde "Set-top Box" Style Digital ATV Receiver. See https://wiki.batc.org.uk/Ryde_Receiver
G8GKQ
Site Admin

Re: Ryde will not lock 125Ks or 66Ks

Post by G8GKQ » Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:02 pm

Chris

The Ryde, Portsdown and (I think) OpenTuner receivers do not support 33kS. MiniTioune is required for 33kS as there are some complex tuner settings required to make it work.

Sadly, F6DZP has not shared these settings with the wider community so we have been unable to add them to the open source software used by other receivers.

Dave, G8GKQ

Basil

Post by Basil » Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:21 pm

Another light goes on! I believe it's only with the Minitioune software and my Minitiouner receiver have I been able to decode any 33Ks signals I don't recall decoding ANY at all with Open Tuner.

When fine tuning may I ask how much of a change should be made to cause any noticeable difference?

I equate this with customers saying 28 PSI in their road car tyres works better than 27 PSI, even the greatest race driver cum suspension set up expert, Nelson Piquet would be hard pressed to feel a difference of 1 PSI in a road car's tyre, so I would like to not be wasting my time with ludicrously small changes if big `uns are what's needed :)

Thank you Dave.

ON5KR

Post by ON5KR » Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:16 pm

The Ryde still won't lock 125Ks propery. Even 250 is sometimes difficult. Somtimes it will, sometimes in wont.
I spent all my free time the last week to get it working, but it just wont.
I studied every forum and internet article, took it with me to the ham club, Tried evrery hardware configuration ...
I have avoided the hdmi, tried multiple minitioune receivers, multiple Raspberry Pi's, tried every hdmi, usb cable on the market ...
I tried seperating them, rewrote the card 5 times, tried other cards, disabled the wifi ...
Tried with preamp, without, narrow bandpass filters, ajust frequency with lo ...
Can someone please tell me what i do wrong ?
It locks, goes away, locks, goes away ... then it moves to the next symbolrate.
Please help !
It is just 436MHz on a yagi.

73 ON5KR Kenneth

radiogareth

Post by radiogareth » Sun Mar 31, 2024 7:03 am

If you are connected to an external antenna, might you be suffering from strong terrestrial DVB-T signals? The Minitiouner does not like nearby strong signals. Maybe try an enclosed system with suitable attenuation just for a sanity check?
I'm line of sight to a TV mast and have to use a very tight filter for 70cms.
Gareth

g0mjw

Post by g0mjw » Sun Mar 31, 2024 7:36 am

What do you mean by goes on to the next symbol rate? It only does that while in scanning mode. We need more details of the setup to diagnose this.

Terrestrial / satellite?
What signals ? DVB-S, DVBS2?
What SNR?
What front end filtering (if terrestrial)? It isn't optional, it simply won't work without it. The wideband front end will generate all sorts of intermods, so you must use a filter. If anyone tells you you don't need one, they are wrong. You do.Even with strong local signals, if connected to an external antenna.

If Satellite, which LNB - it must be a PLL LNB.

How exactly are you correcting for the NIM frequency offset?

That last point is vital for narrow signals. They won't lock if the tuner is too far out.

Mike

ON5KR

Post by ON5KR » Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:27 am

Thank you all for help.
I correct the frequency with the lo settings. Compensated 20KHz. 436MHz DVBS2.
Last night i did tests with a staion 45km from here and i can carefully say that it went good.
I think i had 2 problems. The hdmi problem and reflections from sending too close to the ryde (in-shack).
We even tested 66Ks on 10 seconds.
I will keep you all posted and hope todays tests will be good also.
The device has to perform 100% before moving it to the repeater.

G4KLB

Post by G4KLB » Sun Mar 31, 2024 12:07 pm

Hi Kenneth,

I use two Ryde RXs on GB3SQ repeater but do not use 125 or 66Ks as they require a longer lock period but once locked are solid, it is possible to adjust that time for better results but that increases the time it takes to do the whole scan of all the symbol rates you are scanning.

I decided not to increase the scan time but if those SRs are important that would be the next thing to try,

https://wiki.batc.org.uk/Ryde_Software# ... he_Presets

"The scan rate is normally 5 seconds per setting. So if you have one frequency and 4 SRs, each SR is checked every 20 seconds. If you have 4 frequencies and 4 SRs, all combinations are looked at, but only once every 80 seconds. The scan time (Tuner Timeout) can be set in the Advanced Settings. Note that a Tuner Timeout of 10 seconds is normally required for the reception of 66kS signals as they take longer to lock."

73 Colin G4KLB

ON5KR

Post by ON5KR » Mon Apr 01, 2024 2:24 pm

Hi,

Thanks for help.
It seems that the problem is solved.
Ik learned a lesson for the next time i build a Ryde.
Approved for repeater use :-)

73 Kenneth

Return to “The Ryde Digital ATV Receiver”