Ryde HDMI to encoder problems

Discussions about the Ryde "Set-top Box" Style Digital ATV Receiver. See https://wiki.batc.org.uk/Ryde_Receiver
g8lce

Ryde HDMI to encoder problems

Post by g8lce » Thu Dec 07, 2023 10:21 am

I have been using a Ryde receiver HDMI output into a H265 encoder box to stream to the BATC streamer for years (H264 mode). I have also used another H265 encoder fed from a satellite RX HDMI, to allow a VLC feed of the same repeater. (rtsp://82.144.238.35:8889/live/0).
I have just started changing things and found that the VLC rtsp feed from the encoder fed from the Ryde has no audio. Tried many things but this seems to be the case. It may be because the Ryde audio is 32kb/s and although the encoder will switch to this, it does not come out on the rtsp stream.
Any other HDMI input seems to work but also has a higher bit rate (48kb/s).
During the investigation I found a useful site for control and updating of these encoders.
https://docs.exvist.com/encoder/upgrade ... d-firmware
I used the link to get the ipcmanger https://docs.exvist.com/encoder/tools/i ... r/download
and that worked well, finding the encoders and allowing the firmware updates. You do have to read ALL the information (as I missed the serial number bit at first). If you try the wrong upload it seems to fail not brick! The latest firmware updated my oldest encoder so the Active X is now replaced by HTML 5 preview.

Hope this helps

Martin G8LCE

g8lce

Re: Ryde HDMI to encoder problems

Post by g8lce » Sun Dec 10, 2023 9:50 am

Solved the problem of no audio on the RSTP feed from the H265 encoder when fed from the HDMI output of a Ryde. I dug out my old AMX DVX 3155HD and updated the webcontrol for it to HTML 5. This takes any HDMI or composite video in and gives a nice HDMI output. Once I can get the external switch inputs to control it as well it would make a good repeater 'all come good' box!

Martin G8LCE

g8lce

Re: Ryde HDMI to encoder problems

Post by g8lce » Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:18 pm

Another Ryde to HDMI problem I found was that when the Ryde is feeding straight into an ENC1 encoder and the two are switched on together, the encoder gives a 'No Video' output. This seems to be the RPi HDMI output not liking the enc1 HDMI input during the switch on phase. Leaving the ENC1 encoder powered on and just switching the Ryde off/on ( for example if it needs a reset ) works fine.
So a RPi HDMI output needs a nice input to push it's HDMI signal into when it starts up.

This could be why the 'No Video' screen appears on GB3NQ sometimes. Here the RPi is fed into a HDMI switch which was switched on at the same time as the RPi's. The switch is now powered on all the time ( until a sequencer is made ). Testing continues.......

The ENC1 encoder has a watchdog in it so it resets if things change. Changing the HDMI input non-syncronously will cause the output stream to reset for a short while. It then comes back. VLC watching the stream will also reset!

Martin G8LCE

Return to “The Ryde Digital ATV Receiver”