Ryde Software Update

Discussions about the Ryde "Set-top Box" Style Digital ATV Receiver. See https://wiki.batc.org.uk/Ryde_Receiver
G8GKQ
Site Admin

Ryde Software Update

Post by G8GKQ » Mon Sep 11, 2023 9:59 am

I have just published the latest Ryde software update (202309080) from Tim.

The incremental improvements include:
  • The ability to scroll through a long list of presets on the on-screen menu. Presets are no longer hidden if the list is too long.
  • An optional audio menu for use if your remote control does not have volume up/down or mute buttons. This can be enabled by adding (or amending if already present) the entry " enableMenu: True" in the "audio:" section of /home/pi/ryde/config.yaml.
  • I have also fixed a bug that I previously introduced so that the watchdog (if enabled in the ssh console menu) will now restart Ryde after crashes while set to receive all modes, not just DVB-S/S2. The Watchdog can be enabled from the SSH Console Menu, "Settings", "11 LongMynd Watchdog".
To update an existing Ryde, log on by SSH, type "menu" and enter, and then "10 Update".

Thanks to Tim for the updates and to Gareth G4XAT for testing.

Please report any problems here.

Dave, G8GKQ

g6hfs

Re: Ryde Software Update

Post by g6hfs » Mon Sep 11, 2023 1:19 pm

Hi Dave,

Stream freezes with variable fec, while WH vlc ok not sure why.

Brian
G6HFS

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Post by G8GKQ » Tue Sep 12, 2023 9:20 am

Hi Brian

The Ryde was never designed to handle variable FEC as, at the time of specification/design, there were no variable FEC DATV transmissions. WinterHill and Portsdown are simpler receivers and happen to handle it OK.

I'm still not sure that I can see the point of variable FEC on QO-100 or on terrestrial without an MER feedback channel. Perhaps someone could enlighten me?

If you really think that this is an important problem, please raise an issue on the Ryde issues list https://github.com/eclispe/rydeplayer/issues for Tim to consider.

Dave, G8GKQ

g6hfs

Post by g6hfs » Tue Sep 12, 2023 9:41 am

Dave,

Thankyou for the reply.

Brian

Return to “The Ryde Digital ATV Receiver”