Ryde receiving a BATC Stream

Discussions about the Ryde "Set-top Box" Style Digital ATV Receiver. See https://wiki.batc.org.uk/Ryde_Receiver
G6MNJ

Ryde receiving a BATC Stream

Post by G6MNJ » Wed Apr 12, 2023 1:08 pm

I read elsewhere it was possible to edit config.yaml in home/pi/ryde and edit or add a BATC stream in the streams section so that this could be selected as an input.

I was hoping that when this was set as startup it would behave like a RF input and raise the pin to say it was receiving a valid signal and thus our repeater could transmit that incoming stream.

First issue is the menu item to select the stream seems unchanged even though I have overtyped the GB3HV entry with a new set of parameters but I am hoping/guessing that is ok.

Second issue is because this is done remotely I cannot be sure it is indeed getting the stream.

So my question is if I select the entry to start Ryde with does it use my edited parameters in config.yaml and then when it gets a stream raises the lock pin which we use to select that input and ptt?

Thanks in advance
Paul G6MNJ

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Re: Ryde receiving a BATC Stream

Post by G8GKQ » Wed Apr 12, 2023 1:58 pm

Hi Paul

I have just tested it to make sure, and valid stream reception does raise the lock output.

If you make any edits to the config file, you have to reload it by stopping and starting the Ryde application.

To edit the entry you should change it from:

Code: Select all

GB3HV Stream: &presethv
        band: *stream
        streamname: gb3hv
to

GB3NQ Input: &presetnqi
        band: *stream
        streamname: gb3nqinput
If you want the receiver to boot to use that input, you also need to change the default entry:

default: *presetnqi
And after your changes, restart the app. You can do this by typing stop and then ryde at the command line. You'll need to reboot before logging out though, as you close the running session when you log out.

Hope that helps

Dave

G6MNJ

Post by G6MNJ » Wed Apr 12, 2023 2:30 pm

Perfect.

Thank you Dave.

We decided to try some streaming in to the repeater whilst we wait to fix the 70cm antenna

73 Paul

DL5BCA

Post by DL5BCA » Wed Apr 12, 2023 3:28 pm

Hello Dave,

I have just read this post.

Is it also possible to show streams from other sources?
Here in Germany we have some repeaters that send in nsv.

73 Thomas DL5BCA
73 Thomas
DL5BCA

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Post by G8GKQ » Wed Apr 12, 2023 4:17 pm

Hi Thomas

Other rtmp sources should be possible (they would need a new band to be set up in the config file), but it does not seem to handle nsv streams. I've just tried.

Dave

MW0RUD

Post by MW0RUD » Wed Apr 12, 2023 4:51 pm

From a quick look I don't see why it couldn't be made to work with NSV streams if an enterprising person wrote a new source module for it. The existing RTMP source module probably gets you 90% of the way there.
Tim

DL5BCA

Post by DL5BCA » Wed Apr 12, 2023 5:16 pm

Hello Tim, hello Dave,

thank for the answers.

i'm not good enough to write a new source module.
But it's great that it's possible.

My updated Ryde will be installed this week at the repeater location DB0OV (www.db0ov.de) and on 70cm.

73 Thomas DL5BCA
73 Thomas
DL5BCA

G6MNJ

Post by G6MNJ » Thu Apr 13, 2023 2:15 pm

So we have discovered the volume level of an incoming stream is far lower than the physical receiver attached to the Ryde Receiver.

Unsure if its the level of the stream sent from BATC or the level of the Ryde volume?

Can you shed any light on this please?

Thanks Paul G6MNJ

Return to “The Ryde Digital ATV Receiver”