Full LNB control with Ryde?

Discussions about the Ryde "Set-top Box" Style Digital ATV Receiver. See https://wiki.batc.org.uk/Ryde_Receiver
dl9sec

Full LNB control with Ryde?

Post by dl9sec » Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:39 pm

Hi,

I am currently using a RPi 4 with Ryde and Minitiouner V2 and a HDMI display as a stand-alone "QO-100 viewer" (the IF is generated by an AMSAT-DL down-converter).
Now I want to "pimp my Ryde" and connect an assembled "RT5047 current limit PCB for MiniTiouner version 2" to it to make it also usable as a normal SAT receiver for tests.

My question is now, if the H/V voltage and the high/low-band 22kHz signal for the LNB is fully controllable by the Ryde player (maybe by "bands" in the config.yaml)?

Thank you.

Regards, Thorsten DL9SEC

dl9sec

Re: Full LNB control with Ryde?

Post by dl9sec » Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:49 pm

No ideas how to control the high-band 22kHz signal or if it's even possible?
Or ist it magically done by the tuner itself if a frequency higher than 11,7GHz is tuned?

Thank you.

Regards, Thorsten

M5TXJ

Post by M5TXJ » Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:03 pm

Hi Thorsten,

Don't know how you would activate the 22KHz but the LNB voltage is selected by the ssh menu option 3.

73 Dave
...are you sure I can't use a pair of 813's?... :shock:

G4EWJ

Post by G4EWJ » Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:13 am

It's not automatic. The NIM doesn't know anything about local oscillator frequencies. The NIM is given a frequency that the user calculates by subtracting the LO from the wanted frequency.

The NIM itself generates a 3.3v 22kHz square wave when it receives the appropriate command over the I2C bus. This signal is connected to the TONE input of the RT5047, which then modulates the 13/18v output at about 700mv pk-pk.

LongMynd doesn't have a parameter to turn on the 22kHz tone, so Portsdown and Ryde probably don't have it either. I'll have a look at the LongMynd code and see what would be needed to add 22kHz functionality.

Brian

g8gtz

Post by g8gtz » Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:06 am

I suspect it is not possible as they were designed as DATV receivers and so you do not need the 10.650 LO option.

Anyway, the Ryde was not designed to receive the higher SR, multi-program multiplexes which you will be able to receive with a higher LO....

Noel - G8GTZ

g0mjw

Post by g0mjw » Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:45 am

Yes, Noel, people keep asking about receiving commercial broadcasts with the minitiouner. Wondering why they are having trouble. That is not what the mintiouner was designed for, in fact quite the opposite, it was designed for receiving low rate DATV from low SR up to a few MS/s, but certainly not the wideband multiplexes. It might work in some cases, but it is not a supported function and difficult to use. Some of the lower rate transmissions from 26E can be received and before QO100 became active we used these to align dishes. Now we have the beacon that's no longer needed.

I think enabling the 22kHz LO control would only be asking for trouble so would suggest we don't do that. It implies capabilities that are not really there. Voltage control is needed to switch polarity, but I can't think of a case for a 10.6 GHz LO for amateur applications. If you want to receive commercial broadcasts, best buy a commercial broadcast receiver.

Mike

G4EWJ

Post by G4EWJ » Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:42 pm

Another issue that would need to be addressed is the tuner RF bandwidth, which is left at the minimum of 10MHz in LongMynd.

Brian

Return to “The Ryde Digital ATV Receiver”