Ryde with Remote

Discussions about the Ryde "Set-top Box" Style Digital ATV Receiver. See https://wiki.batc.org.uk/Ryde_Receiver
g6hfs

Ryde with Remote

Post by g6hfs » Wed Jul 06, 2022 4:31 pm

Hi,

Just finished building the Ryde button and IR remote with parts as specified on the BATC BOM, on start the IR led is half brightness for a while then goes out and come back on full brightness and stays on, no difference if thr IR voltage link removed from3.3V, any help please.

Cheers

Brian (g6HFS)
Attachments
half.jpg
half.jpg (986.5 KiB) Viewed 5563 times
full.jpg
full.jpg (802.45 KiB) Viewed 5563 times
off.jpg
off.jpg (985.71 KiB) Viewed 5563 times

g0mjw

Re: Ryde with Remote

Post by g0mjw » Wed Jul 06, 2022 4:46 pm

There is no IR LED. There is an RX valid and a power LED. The RX valid might do odd things on power up, it should behave properly once operating.

Do not use anything other than 3.3V on the IR Sensor or you will probably destroy it.

Mike

g6hfs

Post by g6hfs » Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:09 pm

Hi Mike,

Yes it is set to 3.3v, on a scope the ir sensor is changing the wave form and can see different codes when sky remote is used, I would of thought the ir led would flash when it receives button presses, not on full all the time :?:

Brian (G6HFS)

g0mjw

Post by g0mjw » Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:20 pm

No, why would you think that? That LED is driven by a GPIO pin. Ryde software ensures it illuminates when a signal is successfully received. The IR sensor is input only, it doesn't flash or do anything else of interest apart from sending the remote data to a GPIO pin. Have you looked at the schematic? For more info see the Wiki.

Mike

g6hfs

Post by g6hfs » Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:05 pm

Hi Mike,

My mistake, but I can not even program a new remote no info displayed when remote control button pushes, also I am a bit confused as in one build section thr gpio board has no R2, in another it is installed I also do not understand where is says two resistors marked table? I have put 4k7 in is that correct, very much appreciate all the help.

Cheers

Brian (G6HFS)

g6hfs

Post by g6hfs » Thu Jul 07, 2022 1:47 am

Hi all,

Well that took some digging to find that imformation, if you use the bom ir sensor on 3.3 volts remove R2 and off we go working, thanks to all for your help and advice I got there in the end, look at that time :P

Cheers

Brian (G6HFS)

g0mjw

Post by g0mjw » Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:22 am

Ah, I thought it was clear:

https://wiki.batc.org.uk/Ryde_GPIO_breakout
IR Sensor - TSOP2438 Farnell code 4913097 Run off 3.3V R3 4k7, omit R2.

For 5V sensors possibly [ADVICE DELETED - USE a 3.3V SENSOR]
I deleted the 5V sensor advice because, even with a license, some people were having difficulties with the concept of a resistive divider. Best not to give anyone any options at all.

The button board was never part of the plan, https://wiki.batc.org.uk/Ryde_Hardware#Ryde_front_panel you don't really need it if you only want to use an IR control. The IR is more flexible as it supports more functions that came along later, e.g. volume up and down and the power on / signal received status ought to be obvious from the HDMI display, except in the case of a repeater which might not have a display.

My second Ryde board, which was a personal project not available in the shop, didn't support the 5V sensors. The idea here was to integrate the 5V PSU and fan and expand vertically rather than horizontally.
RYDE_GPIO_V2.jpg
RYDE_GPIO_V2.jpg (69.81 KiB) Viewed 5440 times
I had a few boards made but mostly gone as I updated again once Dave proposed the 25 way D-connector test-equipment Portsdown 4 which has the option of supporting an IR sensor, though not the button board. The Portsdown 4 doesn't support IR control, it uses a touch screen or a web interface. I don't know if Dave is proposing to make a Ryde option, I would think not as all you have to do to convert it to a Ryde is change the SD card and connect an HDMI display and IR sensor. I am not sure if you even need to disconnect the touch screen but that's hardly difficult if you do.
P4GPIO.jpg
P4GPIO.jpg (98.3 KiB) Viewed 5440 times

Mike

g6hfs

Post by g6hfs » Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:01 am

Hi Mike,

Thankyou got your info changes, at least it got sorted out and happy it’s all working now to have a play with remote controllers, with I have laying about.

Brian (G6HFS)

Return to “The Ryde Digital ATV Receiver”