pi 4 small screens

Discussions about the Ryde "Set-top Box" Style Digital ATV Receiver. See https://wiki.batc.org.uk/Ryde_Receiver
g6hfs

pi 4 small screens

Post by g6hfs » Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:33 pm

Hi, has any one tried any of the small touch screens on a pi 4 Ryde, and MiniTiouner, and if so do they need setting up in any way.

Cheers

Brian (G6HFS)

g0mjw

Re: pi 4 small screens

Post by g0mjw » Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:09 pm

Not supported.

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Post by G8GKQ » Sat Jul 02, 2022 10:29 am

Any HDMI screen (including small HDMI-connected touchscreens) is supported. However, the touch function will not work.

The Raspberry Pi Foundation 7 inch touchscreen (or any other DSI-connected screen) as used on the Portsdown 4 is not supported.

Dave G8GKQ

radiogareth

Post by radiogareth » Sat Jul 02, 2022 11:51 am

I think its useful to consider the original 'target' audience for the many projects - the Ryde was conceived as a 'Set top box' but for amateur standard SR's. For touch screen RX I use the PD4 where it can all be controlled from the touch screen. They both receive the same stuff but are clearly 'horses for courses' solutions.
I would not be without either and have just added a WinterHill to my collection.
Its all good stuff and 'I wonder if' questions/feature requests are always worth putting out there.

Gareth

g0mjw

Post by g0mjw » Sun Jul 03, 2022 6:53 am

I had assumed this was related to the display screen interface (DSI) connection. I think the issue is we are usually cheap and balk at the high price of the 7 inch standard screen, new stuff comes out, often much cheaper and we hope it works. In general it doesn't. A bargain that isn't. Sometimes it might work, but even then it is not guaranteed to continue to work with any update. There isn't a standard, for touch screens, there are many standards and the DSI screens more so. HDMI will generally work as this is more or less standard, it is driven by the PI4 but again there are exceptions.

As Gareth has pointed out, the Ryde is intended as a set top box type receiver, it is controlled by a remote control and connects to a monitor or TV via the HDMI port. It is not intended to be used with the DSI screen. The Portsdown is intended to use the DSI screen, but a specific and limited, well defined subset of those. See the Wiki. Ideally, the standard PI 7 inch screen. There is another 5 inch screen from DFRobot that works, but that was more of an accidental very near compatibility. My advice to anyone starting out is to stick to the recommended design. Do not deviate from the recommended design unless you know what you are doing and are prepared for a total loss.

Deviating from the standard results in a fragmented mess, development stalls because any changes tend to break something else. We see this in Apple vs Microsoft. Development becomes much simpler when you control both hardware and software.

Mike

Return to “The Ryde Digital ATV Receiver”