Ryde Software Update with Stream Receiver

Discussions about the Ryde "Set-top Box" Style Digital ATV Receiver. See https://wiki.batc.org.uk/Ryde_Receiver
G8GKQ
Site Admin

Ryde Software Update with Stream Receiver

Post by G8GKQ » Sun Jun 05, 2022 8:52 pm

Thanks to a vast amount of work from Tim MW0RUD, I have been able to release an update (202206050) to the Ryde Receiver software that adds BATC Streams to the receiver on-screen menu and will display them in the same way as a received signal. To get the update, log on to the SSH Console, type menu, and then select the option to check for software update.

The update may take some time to perform security updates to system files; be patient.

Four new presets are added by the update; these allow selection of the GB3HV, GB3JV, GB3KM or GB3SQ streams. Once viewing a stream, the streamname can be changed using the on-screen menu to select a different stream. However, if you regularly want to watch a different stream it is recommended that you manually edit the config file ( /home/pi/ryde/config.yaml ) to add a new preset, and perhaps delete some of the presets that you do not use.

The update also includes reliability improvements, and adds the "K0QIT" remote control (thanks to F5CAU).

Please report any problems with the update here.

Dave, G8GKQ

G8YTZ

Re: Ryde Software Update with Stream Receiver

Post by G8YTZ » Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:41 pm

Hi!

I've noticed a couple of issues.

1. The presets menu goes off the screen, so you can't see the repeater streamer menu options. You can select them by counting the button presses though.

2. If a Minitiouner or Knucker is not connected then when a preset is selected that requires that unit, the screen states "locked - no video" If this is replicated through the GPIO this could be a problem for repeater use where a faulty Minitiouner could hold the repeater output on that false signal. Previous versions state "source not connected".

A suggested enhancement for the stream receiver would be for it to display the incoming bit rate and/or the error rate/dropped frames. The equivalent of the MER and signal strength.

Justin.

keng8vdp

Post by keng8vdp » Thu Jul 13, 2023 7:51 pm

G8YTZ wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:41 pm
Hi!

I've noticed a couple of issues.

1. The presets menu goes off the screen, so you can't see the repeater streamer menu options. You can select them by counting the button presses though.

2. If a Minitiouner or Knucker is not connected then when a preset is selected that requires that unit, the screen states "locked - no video" If this is replicated through the GPIO this could be a problem for repeater use where a faulty Minitiouner could hold the repeater output on that false signal. Previous versions state "source not connected".

A suggested enhancement for the stream receiver would be for it to display the incoming bit rate and/or the error rate/dropped frames. The equivalent of the MER and signal strength.

Justin.
Hi all,

Justin ,
I have exactly the same OFF Bottom of screen issue with the stream presets .
Even with a current BATC Shop bought SD card. 13/07/23

Has this been fixed yet ?

Regards .. Ken

ps. thanks to all the developers

G8YTZ

Post by G8YTZ » Thu Jul 13, 2023 10:23 pm

Answer is no, however there are workarounds.

1. Delete unused presets, then the presets will never go off screen, that’s what I do. Remember you can have preset scan multiple simple rates.

2. I’m sure you will find the font settings in the software in one of the configuration files. I haven’t done this for the menus, but I have done it on the on-screen information.

Justin

keng8vdp

Post by keng8vdp » Fri Jul 14, 2023 5:55 am

Justin, thanks , good points ,
I'll take a look.
I'm just a nervous wreck when trying to edit
Pi stuff because most of the time I don't really
know what I'm doing. It's a learning curve

Example SSH. It's some months since I last
did it. When I attempted it this time could I
remember how !