Ryde Software Update

Discussions about the Ryde "Set-top Box" Style Digital ATV Receiver. See https://wiki.batc.org.uk/Ryde_Receiver
g0mjw

Re: Ryde Software Update

Post by g0mjw » Mon Dec 20, 2021 2:19 pm

If you want 7 MHz DVB-T I suggest you look at DATV Express with the Lime on a PC. I don't think the PI is quite up to it, though I may be wrong.

Mike

SkyVision

Post by SkyVision » Wed Dec 22, 2021 11:44 pm

Hi Mike

Ryde really struggles with full bandwidth DVB-T from what I can see, it gets blocky when things move
Where is the bottle neck do you think?
It's like a buffer runs out, surely RPi4 can process a decent size transport stream

DATV express/Lime far exceeded my expectations for DVB-T 7M with bandwidth set slightly above 1 and performance slow or medium
Not purfect, but close
If it had a hardware hdmi encoder that might help, I'll try that next

Cheers Roger

g0mjw

Post by g0mjw » Thu Dec 23, 2021 10:10 am

The bottleneck could be the USB or VLC or perhaps even the software in the NIM. I would look at the USB so perhaps try writing a new, more efficient, driver suite? This would probably require some modifications to the PCB and perhaps a new USB chip.

However, if things are getting blocky, that more points towards an encoding problem than a decoding problem. You can eliminate that side of things by configuring DATVExpress to write the TS to a file and playing that back on a PC. The other possibility is not RTFM and using the narrow bandwidth version of Express to generate the 7MHz. I assume you are using the correct version for the correct applications.

However, I will stress again, this is not a domestic TV receiver. It is a DATV receiver designed for reduced bandwidth DATV. Not for 7 MHz. You could also avoid any of this by simply using a cheap RTL DVB-T dongle for its intended purpose as a DVB-T receiver. The Ryde is intended to do those things that domestic receivers can not do, not to duplicate them.

Mike

Return to “The Ryde Digital ATV Receiver”