Ryde Software Update

Discussions about the Ryde "Set-top Box" Style Digital ATV Receiver. See https://wiki.batc.org.uk/Ryde_Receiver
G8GKQ
Site Admin

Ryde Software Update

Post by G8GKQ » Sat Nov 06, 2021 1:29 pm

Thanks to Tim MW0RUD, we are able to release another Ryde software update with the following new features:
  • The volume control buttons on remote control now adjust the volume. Start-up volume is 60%, each button press raises or lowers the volume by 10%. These figures can be adjusted by manually editing the config file.
  • The GPIO band switching lines are now active. The decimal value for the 3 binary band lines is set against each band (edited from the SSH console menu or a manual edit of the config file). The default GPIO pins are listed in the Ryde GPIO Connections https://wiki.batc.org.uk/Ryde_GPIO_Connections, but these can also be manually edited in the config file. This functionality allows an input source switch (such as a modified version of the Portsdown 8-way switch) to be driven automatically.
  • The desired audio output port can now be selected from the ssh console menu. Go to option 5 Video/Audio and then select Audio. The output can be directed to HDMI, the RPi 3.5mm jack or a Portsdown/Langstone compatible white USB audio dongle.
  • The DVB-T/T2 receiver will now correctly receive 1.7 MHz standard DVB-T/T2 (which, confusingly, is transmitted with a bandwidth of 1.614 MHz). This should allow reception of the Paris DATV Repeater.
  • New software builds are now based on the latest version of Raspios Buster 2021-05-07.
You can update from the ssh console menu; all your existing settings should be preserved.

Please report any new bugs here

Dave, G8GKQ

Patrice

Re: Ryde Software Update

Post by Patrice » Mon Dec 13, 2021 4:06 pm

Hi Dave,
Thank you for your update version of Ryde software, it's work perfertly on the Paris's repeateur DVB-T2 1.7MHz BW.

Regards
F1NSU

SkyVision

Post by SkyVision » Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:24 pm

Hi Dave

I've tried again and still get "locked/no video" sound is fine, and on screen signal comes up
Initially was using knucker, then tried mini tutioune and same thing, change to Portsdown 4 RX no problem
We rang dubug software, no clues
It's something to do with VLC resolving the video I think

Have tried composite and HDMI outputs and tried H262
Tried Limemini and Pluto

Do you have any clues as to what I can try next
Have read the posts and Wiki, something is not right

Cheers Roger VK5YYY

g0mjw

Post by g0mjw » Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:26 pm

Roger - what are you attempting to receive? Please be specific.

Mike

SkyVision

Post by SkyVision » Fri Dec 17, 2021 1:10 am

Hi Mike

I'm on DVB-T 437mhz 333B/W Mpeg4 with 920 camera sent from Portsdown 4 with Limimini and Pluto across the bench, SD card from BATC shop
The Ryde recieves the signal after the usual delay outputs sound and displays the on screen parameters, which are good on HDMI out but no video
I did post that the other day on the previous thread and had no answer
Recieving with the Knucker/PD4 worked fine, I don't have the keyboard for Ryde just a IR Rxer and remote

VK5BD double checked it and ran debuging mode which didn't throw up any clues
My gut feeling is VLC is not fine about the video for some reason, not that I'm a computer wiz, like the video PID is wrong
DVB-S with same parameters and PD4 to tutioune/Ryde gave the same results
Thanks in advance for any advice, sorry to be an annoyance

Cheers Roger VK5YYY

g0mjw

Post by g0mjw » Fri Dec 17, 2021 11:09 am

Hi Roger,

So it is DVB-T. Very few of us are using DVB-T so bugs may still be present. However, I know it worked for me, so have you updated the Ryde to the latest version? DVB-T capability is relatively new on the Ryde/Knucker. Older cards from the shop won't have the latest version and the week or so it takes for post to Australia pretty much guarantees it would not be the latest. If you don't know, you update via the menu logging in with SSH.

It would seem the TX is OK from your comment on PD4/Knucker. If not of course, that's the first thing to try but seems you already verified that. You can set the PIDs with the PD4 - it is under menu 3 and should be set to 256. Unless you have changed it, by default it should be set to that.

Check the Ryde has the monitor plugged into the correct HDMI port and for good measure ensure it is a more or less standard full HD monitor and isn't something difficult like a 4K monitor or a TV. Given the usual text/menus appears on the monitor I assume the PI can actually drive it, but if it is in the wrong port or unusual resolution perhaps VLC might have some difficulties.

As you get Audio but not video, the signal is being received and the Transport Stream appears valid. It could be the video encoding is not compatible with VLC. We know it works with H264. Can you confirm it really is H264? Mpeg-4 does not define the video standard - see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MPEG-4 but if the DVB-T signal is coming from a Portsdown and C920 set to H264 it should be OK. I suppose it is possible the PD4/C920 is not working properly and sending a black screen. Try with the test card.

Meanwhile I will do some tests here in case the new version no longer works.

g0mjw

Post by g0mjw » Fri Dec 17, 2021 11:11 am

Follow up (edited after more extensive tests) - It works fine for me. However I did a test with the other HDMI output and it didn't work, well it did sometimes but not always. Advice, try the other HDMI. Also more on monitors, see the Winterhill Wiki FAQ (Note - we ought to produce a Ryde FAQ) had similar differences between HDMI ports. The reliable HDMI port for me was the one closest to the AV jack and furthest from the USB-C. I think this is a VLC thing. All the on screen menus are fine on either port.

Mike

SkyVision

Post by SkyVision » Sat Dec 18, 2021 3:41 am

Thanks Mike

I'll double check things

Cheers Roger

g0mjw

Post by g0mjw » Sat Dec 18, 2021 10:00 am

Let us know. I also saw you said MPEG-4 above. I assumed you meant H264 as the is no setting called MPEG-4 I am aware of. If you used H264 then OK. However. if you used MPEG-2 and it was a typo, I would not expect it that work as Portsdown 4 Pluto only supports H264. see https://wiki.batc.org.uk/Portsdown_4_Pluto - for capabilities and limitations for Portsdown/Pluto with F5OEO firmware. You can also read about it on the Pluto built in web server.

Portsdown 4 transmit capabilities: From https://wiki.batc.org.uk/Portsdown_4

DVB-S, DVB-S2 and DVB-T (H264 only) transmissions from a Pluto SDR connected by USB.
DVB-S, DVB-S2 and DVB-T (MPEG-2 and H264) transmissions from a LimeSDR Mini or LimeSDR USB using stock LimeSDR firmware
DVB-S and DVB-S2 (MPEG-2 and H264) transmissions from a LimeSDR Mini using "LimeDVB" firmware
DVB-S (MPEG-2 and H264) transmissions from a DATV Express Board connected by USB
Supported transmit video sources include the Raspberry Pi Camera, C920 WebCam or a USB-connected EasyCap composite video capture device
Streaming to the BATC Streamer using the Raspberry Pi Camera or EasyCap composite video capture device as a source

As for bandwidths and obsolete encoders like MPEG-2, this comes up quite often in the context of early DATV repeaters which often used 4Ms inputs/outputs. The Portsdown and Pluto combo maximum supported symbol rate is 1Ms and maximum DVB-T bandwidth is 1MS. It can't reliably generate 4Ms but as it isn't explicitly disabled, people try, based on others reports of it working for them. When they find it flaky they get upset, even though it is very clearly stated it these rates are not supported with the Pluto. For higher rates the DATV Express and Lime do work. Both are supported by Charles' application in Windows. The Lime is supported by the Portsdown up to 4Ms. DATV Express support is limited to DVB-S, but any repeater limited to MPEG-2 is unlikely to be using DVB-S2 anyway.

Mike

SkyVision

Post by SkyVision » Mon Dec 20, 2021 1:13 pm

Hi Mike

Thanks for all your help, it was H.264
It seemed obvious with Dave's upgrade to give it a crack, and it worked a treat
Not real fault finding by jumping a step though

Hopefully VK5BD will contribute the IR codes to Dave for inclusion to the script
He used a widely available remote that our outback TV (Vast) uses, that should be handy for Aussies
Anyway well done all for bringing this together, is there any chance we can please get DVB-T 7mhz B/W which we use here on 70 and 23cm

Cheers Roger

Return to “The Ryde Digital ATV Receiver”