Progress Knucker -> Ryde?

Discussions about the Ryde "Set-top Box" Style Digital ATV Receiver. See https://wiki.batc.org.uk/Ryde_Receiver
DL5BCA

Progress Knucker -> Ryde?

Post by DL5BCA » Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:24 am

Hi,

has there already been any progress with the integration of Knucker into the Ryde software?
73 Thomas
DL5BCA

Pa3fbx

Re: Progress Knucker -> Ryde?

Post by Pa3fbx » Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:29 pm

What so you mean. Knucker works with ryde.. but its not remote controll Driven.
Using portsdown knucker Work better..

Benno

DL5BCA

Post by DL5BCA » Thu Jun 03, 2021 7:01 am

Hi Benno,

If I remember correctly, the integration in the Ryde software should be based on that of the Minitioune.
Scanning of different SRs and others

Could it be, of course, that I misunderstood something?
73 Thomas
DL5BCA

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Post by G8GKQ » Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:49 am

Hi

Unless someone is doing some development that I am not aware of, the integration of Knucker with Ryde for DVB-T reception will be single bandwidth, single frequency (but multiple FEC and GI). So straightforward selection of channels (or manually entered frequencies/bandwidths) from the Remote Control.

The frequency and SR scanning for DVB-S/S2 was much easier to implement because BATC members had written and developed the LongMynd receive software to interface with the MiniTiouner hardware design from scratch. Much of the software and specification for the Knucker is closed source, so we don't have that luxury.

Dave

VK3IE

Post by VK3IE » Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:29 pm

Do hope work continues and there is some progress with the Ryde.

A few in VK have gotten on to this for Both DVB S/S2 and also the Knucker, HDMI out option is great.
Portsdown is good with 7in screen, but as we get older a Big screen is always much nicer. ;)

Entering Via SSH to do the basic change/alterations is all good here but some find this difficult

For those of us in this part of the non QO-100 world,
Would be great to see some removal of QO-100 menu from Ryde and replaced with customise area for Frequencies,
maybe an alternate Boot/Start screen could be added EU/UK and Rest of World,
May even add a few more BATC sales to the Ryde project.

Easy to say and ask but as its known all work by volunteers etc it maybe a hard ask,
Great work they do when they can.
Please consider

Robert

Pa3fbx

Post by Pa3fbx » Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:22 am

I totally understand your request Robert,

The qo100 made a large crowed to have a need for a datv receiving station..
This mades projects like Portsdown and Ryde posible...

But also for terrestrial these projects are great and more and more local stations using it here not active on the sattelite.
Thats why i got into changing the config files whits for me was just understandable.
field
I am not a programmer by far but reading the programs and understand how they interconnect isjust within my capabilities.
I also understand the soft guys can't grant every personal wish and so i just try to helpout where needed.

To your comment.
I have adapted allready several local ryde systems to just cover the terrestrial ham frequecies locally used.
Its not really hard.

Be aware all changes needs to be done after every upgrade as the designers offten cover all the files so updates just work...

Good luck and just ask here on the forum if you like more info..

73e Benno, PA3FBX.

VK3IE

Post by VK3IE » Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:17 am

Thanks Benno,
You can find my email on QRZ if you wish
Or please post a sample of what you have done, to get me in the groove...

Like yourself no programmer but can nut my way through things if its able to be followed
If we can show some good alternatives they may get added as time goes by.

That's what its all about Participating,
Don't wait for it to happen Make it happen :D

Look forward.
Thank You
Robert

G0LJF

Post by G0LJF » Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:12 am

Hi,

I found one hardware issue (its the FTDI interface really) when testing my new [untried] Knucker with Ryde Ver 202111051.

I realise this is probably low priority, being Knucker but...

When receiving a valid 71MHz DVB-T signal (from P2020) with a Knucker the Ryde does not illuminate the D1 "locked" LED at all on the Ryde switch board.

I checked with my MT Pro instead of Knucker, and this LED was working with a 'normal' DVBS2 signal on 146.5 MHz.

Would be handy to see the nice LED glow, as well as the OSD "Locked" information.

My scope does see a hardware "TS Valid" square wave applied to the Knucker's FTDI module on BC3 (3-14). This is at 47.6 KHz or 21us period.

The MT Pro schematic shows this signal is applied to "BC3 3-14" too.

Thanks,

Mike
Last edited by G0LJF on Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

g0mjw

Post by g0mjw » Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:42 am

The lock LED is driven by the PI4 so this is a software issue.

Mike

G0LJF

Post by G0LJF » Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:07 pm

OK - but would be nice to fix. I will explain...

In real-life use I can appreciate that the Ryde OSD is probably sufficient, but it would be nice to see a glowing "lock" LED (as always).

For my initial post-build testing I could not be sure that a new Knucker board was working OK. In fact, I cant still be sure but it looks fine with the scope.

Thanks,

Mike

Return to “The Ryde Digital ATV Receiver”