Ryde Version 2

Discussions about the Ryde "Set-top Box" Style Digital ATV Receiver. See https://wiki.batc.org.uk/Ryde_Receiver
NJ6E

Ryde Version 2

Post by NJ6E » Sat May 22, 2021 7:18 pm

Hello Ryde developers and users,

I have been working to build a narrowband 23cm DVB-S2 input for our local DATV repeater, W6CX, serving the San Francisco Bay Area, USA. While I have a Ryde Version 1 receiver up and running well on my bench, I was wondering about the status of the Version 2 project, as is briefly described in the Ryde wiki. It appears that Version 2 is to be based on the WinterHill receiver board, which has been available for a couple of months. I see that the present version of the WinterHill board has some Ryde features, like the front panel board connector and provisions for COR.

So my question is whether there are near-term plans to proceed with the Version 2 Ryde hardware and software support. I have been looking forward to the Version 2 as likely being more reliable than the Version 1, as the Version 2 is fully integrated and does not use the USB interface between the Raspberry Pi 4 and the Minitiouner V2 board. Access to our repeater is difficult due to road conditions, so lacking a total system failure it is only visited 3-4 times a year.

Thanks and 73,

Stan
NJ6E

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Re: Ryde Version 2

Post by G8GKQ » Sat May 22, 2021 8:54 pm

Hi Stan

Ryde Version 2 using the Advanced DATV Receiver board is still an aspiration, but is not actively being developed at the moment. The team are concentrating their efforts on completing the wish-list for Ryde Version 1 functionality.

The reliability of Ryde Verion 1 units at repeater sites in the UK has been good. So, I suggest that you go ahead with the Ryde version 1.

Dave, G8GKQ

NJ6E

Post by NJ6E » Sun May 23, 2021 7:18 pm

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your update and guidance on this topic. We will proceed with the repeater receiver based on the Ryde Version 1.

Stan
NJ6E

g8lce

Post by g8lce » Wed May 26, 2021 8:39 am

Hi Stan,

I have been working on GB3NQ repeaters next rebuild. It will be more than one Ryde and controlled so that when more than one Ryde receives a signal (on more than one frequency) the video gets switched to a quad split output. To do this I used an Arduino. This also controls the Ryde startup and shutdown. If power is switched off the Ryde is sent a hardware shutdown signal before it's power is removed (small ups needed ) This also resets the RPI. Just using the Arduino and a Rpi and part of the code could be used to control the Rpi and shut it down / reset it daily. The 3am/pm reset from the Ryde menu would not be needed.

viewtopic.php?f=130&t=7270

Martin G8LCE

Return to “The Ryde Digital ATV Receiver”