Ryde feature request - scan both antenna inputs

Discussions about the Ryde "Set-top Box" Style Digital ATV Receiver. See https://wiki.batc.org.uk/Ryde_Receiver
G8YTZ

Ryde feature request - scan both antenna inputs

Post by G8YTZ » Mon May 10, 2021 7:59 am

Hi,

I'd like to suggest a future feature request for the Ryde as a repeater receiver.

The feature is the ability to scan both Minitiouner antenna inputs for a signal, a bit like you can scan for Symbol rates. This would be most useful where there are two input antennas on a repeater facing different directions. Selection could be based on a simple "first come first serve" basis (a simple pseudo-diversity) or better still, for a more intelligent diversity application on a strongest MER basis. I would assume the latter would be far more complex to achieve in a single receiver design though. A simple scan and lock to the first signal seen would be great though, perhaps with the receiver switching antennas every 30s whilst in the unlocked state.

It may be that it can already do this (just I don't know how to script it!) I was thinking of a work-round, perhaps it might be possible to create two "bands" that are the same, apart from the antenna input selection and then scan between two presets until signal lock is detected one one. Another enhancement would to add in the OSD a text indication of which antenna is active.

Another option would be for a GPIO input on the Raspberry Pi Ryde to select an antenna that could be linked to a web interface.

Return to “The Ryde Digital ATV Receiver”