Ryde has lost HDMI output?

Discussions about the Ryde "Set-top Box" Style Digital ATV Receiver. See https://wiki.batc.org.uk/Ryde_Receiver
M0SKM

Re: Ryde has lost HDMI output?

Post by M0SKM » Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:12 am

Hi Gareth,

The beacon was faulty till I went off to bed just before midnight. Just occasional flicker of a picture.

Will do the test Dave suggested this morning and report. Mine crashes just as the red screen should change to video. Handset and buttons no longer work but you can access console 50% of the time.

Steve
Find me on D Star through GB7BP

M0SKM

Post by M0SKM » Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:33 am

G8GKQ wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:10 pm
Hi

Gareth and Steve (and anyone else with this problem)

Please could you reselect the full HDMI display, reboot, log into the console, and then enter:

Code: Select all

stop
vlc rtmp://rtmp.batc.org.uk/live/gb3hv
Do you get a picture (internet connection required)? You can press ctrl-c to ext

If that does not work, try a "Development" update (press d at the y/n update prompt) and repeat, please.

And tell me what happens as I can't reproduce the problem.

Dave, G8GKQ
Hi Dave,

Booted up and couldn't get past the red screen, so told it stop and look for GB3HV and it worked. Looks like Gareth and I have different problems.

Steve

radiogareth

Post by radiogareth » Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:43 am

Sounds like it is indeed a different fault.

I can try some other options, but before I do.....don't want to do that if there is ANY chance of it doing something to my second RPI4 (which is currently alive and well....). I assume that when you switch off a RPI4, it looses EVERYTHING except whats on the uSD card....

1. Put the 'faulty' card in a different RPi4 and boot it up. If it fails....
2. Check the flash card with the H2TestW software and then rebuild to Ryde Spec. doing the build on my second/currently good RPI4.
3. If it works as expected swap card unchanged to 'faulty' RPi4 and see what happens...

If it fails assume HDMI hardware fault and try setting it for Composite video out.....

Or other suggested sequences/checks.....

Thanks...

Gareth

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Post by G8GKQ » Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:04 am

Sounds sensible Gareth. I can't see how it would blow anything up....

Dave

MW0RUD

Post by MW0RUD » Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:26 pm

I also can't see that test causing any harm.

If you have nothing on screen during boot it may be worth checking to see if the second HDMI port outputs something, ryde doesn't currently work properly on that port (you don't get video playback) but that is a fixable issue. It may also be worth checking if video is coming out of the composite as the Pi4 disables the HDMI when the composite is enabled so would be a sign that the has got scrambled.

Tim

radiogareth

Post by radiogareth » Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:09 pm

OK, I tried that, SD card is fine, its a problem with the RPi.....
On Steve's suggestion that the Flash may be corrupted, I tried various upgrades, but they all said 'latest version installed'.

A bit more digging into how to FORCE a flash upgrade led to this page:https://jamesachambers.com/raspberry-pi ... ery-guide/
Which suggests the following......"When to Attempt Recovery
There is a simple procedure to tell if your bootloader is corrupt. Turn off your Pi completely and remove the SD card / all attached storage. Now plug your Pi back in with no storage media in it.

If your Pi’s bootloader is healthy you will see the green light blink a few times and then enter a pattern where it will blink 4 times and then have a long pause. It will repeat these 4 blinks / pause in an endless loop.

If your Pi’s bootloader is NOT healthy the green light will not blink. If this is the case it is time to do a bootloader recovery!"

And sure enough, I have a solid GREEN LED showing.....HOWEVER, doing the same test on my GOOD RPi4 does the same thing....(solid green) so I'm not convinced that is a valid suggestion....

So I tried tried plugging in a second HDMI - NOTHING on either. At this point I can't check composite as it has my audio plugged in there and its all still a bit 'boxed'. We did have a bit of a "lights flickering" moment the other evening, but the RPI is behind a big stable 13.8 supply and then a buck SMPSU to deliver the 5.15V directly to the RPI4 GPIO. I'd be surprised if anything nasty found its way in, but it looks as if it did.
Onward. Eeprom re-flash this evening perhaps, but it doesn't look like anything is wrong with Ryde SW :-)
Gareth

g4eml

Post by g4eml » Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:02 pm

Hi Gareth,

Have you tried removing the # in front of hdmi_safe=1 in /boot/config.txt.

That should force the HDMI output on even if your pi is not recognising the monitor.

Regardless of the Ryde software you should still see the boot up messages.

If you still see nothing on the monitor it sounds like you may have a faulty board.

Colin.

radiogareth

Post by radiogareth » Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:43 pm

Thanks Colin, tried that, nothing....
Downloaded and flashed the EEProm firmware image which did as described here....

Recovery Procedure
Before powering up your device insert the “recovery” SD card that we made earlier in the requirements section above and make sure that all USB devices are removed. Even keyboards have been known to cause issues so make sure absolutely everything is unplugged!

Now insert the SD card into the Pi and connect the power.
If the bootloader recovery is successful the green activity light will start blinking rapidly continuously (forever). In this case you have successfully recovered your bootloader! You may now insert a normal fully imaged SD card and it will boot normally again.
If anything other than a continuous rapidly blinking green light happens the recovery was not successful.

Reboot - Ryde working (audio from beacon) but nothing on the screen.
Looks like a dead HDMI. If I can recall where I bought this one (one of CPC/Farnell/eBay etc) I'll check the warranty T&C. Chucked out the packaging when I first used the Pi unfortunately.
I'd assume that if the external HDMI isn't working then the on-board socket for the 7" touchscreen wouldn't work either (before I dismantle a working Portsdown4...)

Thanks to all contributors. Possibly never the software.......

Gareth

M0SKM

Post by M0SKM » Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:29 pm

M0SKM wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:33 am
Hi Dave,

Booted up and couldn't get past the red screen, so told it stop and look for GB3HV and it worked. Looks like Gareth and I have different problems.

Steve
My HDMI output is working now, I resorted to forcing group 2 mode 58 operation.

It appeared that the Raspi wasn’t reading edid.dat from my monitor, I think this was because i2c was disabled by default in config.txt. Enabling i2c caused HDMI to work full screen but it was unstable and more often than not crashed.

Another thing I tried was using a local (root) copy of edid.dat; downloading the file using tvservice -d edid.dat and editing hdmi_edid_file1 in config.txt. This also worked but it set the screen size smaller and there was no sound.

I don’t know enough about the system to progress it any further so I’ll stick to my forced 1680x1050 @60Hz.

Steve

Return to “The Ryde Digital ATV Receiver”