Ryde Feature request - audio level meter

Discussions about the Ryde "Set-top Box" Style Digital ATV Receiver. See https://wiki.batc.org.uk/Ryde_Receiver
g8gtz

Ryde Feature request - audio level meter

Post by g8gtz » Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:19 pm

Not exactly a high priority but judging by the number of times we have to use the volume control between different stations on the BATC net, the option to bring up an audio level on the OSD would be a very useful feature.

Could be positioned on the side of the OSD screen which I think still needs a tidy up :-)

Or maybe we need this on the Portsdown input??

Noel - G8GTZ
ryde info2 (Small).JPG
ryde info2 (Small).JPG (106.66 KiB) Viewed 2313 times

radiogareth

Re: Ryde Feature request - audio level meter

Post by radiogareth » Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:16 pm

Agreed, there is 'significant variance' given we seem able to level out the TX power fairly well (via the web-view i.e. visual feedback).
And whilst asking, is there any way we could have the on-screen data STAY visible, i.e. a toggle command rather than 'show and time-out'?
Easy to ask, not so easy to code it.....
Thanks
Gareth

MW0RUD

Post by MW0RUD » Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:56 pm

Hi Noel,
I agree this is a useful feature and have done some investigation into this in the past and have created an issue at https://github.com/eclispe/rydeplayer/issues/52

I couldn't find an obviously good way to access the level info from VLC or ALSA, although Raspberry Pi has recently switched to pulseaudio which may have better luck.

The OSD should probably have a makeover at some point but there are a few more bits such as things that need to be done first so we can see what we have to fit in first. Level meters, volume control and display and showing "meter bars" next to MER etc are on that list.

Tim

MW0RUD

Post by MW0RUD » Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:52 pm

Hi Gareth,
radiogareth wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:16 pm
And whilst asking, is there any way we could have the on-screen data STAY visible, i.e. a toggle command rather than 'show and time-out'?
There are some existing options for this already, although you need to edit the config files:
  • Set OSD->TIMERS->USERTRIGGER to null disables the timeout so you have to press back to close the OSD
  • Use the OSDTOG event in either a handset file or in the GPIO event, this toggles the OSD on and off for every button push
Tim

Return to “The Ryde Digital ATV Receiver”