Where is the udp output stream on the wish list

Discussions about the Ryde "Set-top Box" Style Digital ATV Receiver. See https://wiki.batc.org.uk/Ryde_Receiver
Pa3fbx

Where is the udp output stream on the wish list

Post by Pa3fbx » Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:11 pm

Hi, surely i won, t say any bad thing on this great project. Its remarkable stable and much more than we hobbists shoot for. However one thing its lacking is the ip output stream..

I am planning to add a ryde to our local repeater but realy need a ip streaming out next to the hdmi or comp. Vid out…

So where are we on the wish list…

Best regards

Benno, pa3fbx

g0mjw

Re: Where is the udp output stream on the wish list

Post by g0mjw » Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:24 pm

Not sure it is on the map. I would be easy enough for you to add it to the Ryde I think, the source code is on github. https://github.com/BritishAmateurTelevi ... ryde-build - or plug an HDMI to IP converter like the LKV373 into the output....

However the advanced DATV receiver does this so perhaps just wait a little more. I expect that would be ideal for your repeater.

Mike

MW0RUD

Post by MW0RUD » Sat Feb 20, 2021 4:50 pm

Hi Benno,
This has been on my list of things to investigate for a while, I've just created the issue at https://github.com/eclispe/rydeplayer/issues/53

Streaming the received TS presents potential problems with reliable playback and will not include things such as the OSD. Mikes suggestion of using an LKV373 is what is used to stream the BATC QO-100 net on Thursdays and works well so an interface to one of these may end up being the eventual solution anyway.

Tim

g8gtz

Post by g8gtz » Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:38 pm

Thanks Tim for the response and I do realise these things all take time and effort!

Unfortunately the LKV device has become hard to get and does mean 2 pieces of hardware.

FYI - As well as being able to display the Ryde on a different screen in the shack (can't see the point of this) the real application for this feature would be in the repeater application where UDP could be used as the main interface in place of composite. One group is considering the use of CasprCG https://github.com/CasparCG/help/wiki/Server as the repeater switcher/controller.

Another application could be a stand alone Ryde internet receiver which could be presented on BATC streamer or either acting as a remote receiver for a main repeater.

In both these applications you probably wouldn't need the display on the local screen and the Pi could be headless if that helps.

Noel

Pa3fbx

Post by Pa3fbx » Sat Feb 20, 2021 6:00 pm

Hey guy's thanks for the reply's.

Well in the shack the usage would be in OBS where you would be able to relay (blend in) the other station where you are in QSO with (something what we all should be doing more.. is making the contact...)
In a terresial relay the HDMI or comp vid. would be used for tx or relaying the signal..
So to get a IP stream out would be ideal for monitoring via the www..

But Minitiouner and Portsdown has these capabilities so why not ryde i would like to ask...
But if its not the the wish list i really need to find other ways...

Thanks again for the support.

MW0RUD

Post by MW0RUD » Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:10 pm

Exposing the received TS over UDP as is done with portsdown and minitioune isn't particularly difficult however that would bypass the vast majority of the ryde features. You would get no user interface or OSD on that stream and the receiver would have to be able to deal with the video parameters changing on its own.

To get around this and make an actually useful stream that can be easily played, included or sent to the streamer some transcoding into a consistent format is required. I can potentially do this in software but I am concerned that the Pi may not have the horsepower to do that so an external encoder of some form may be required, Dave may have some thoughts on encoding on the Pi from experience with portsdown.

Tim

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Post by G8GKQ » Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:28 pm

We have some serious requirements creep going on here! But it's all progress, so here is the way that I see it, and a hack for people to try at their own risk.

There are 2 practical ways of getting a video stream out of the Ryde.
  • The first method, which I recommend, is to capture the HDMI using an HDMI capture device and encode/use the stream from that. I use this method (with an LKV373A) to relay the Thursday evening BATC Net to the BATC Streamer. The H265 capture boxes could easily be used, or even the cheap USB HDMI capture dongles with suitable software. The advantage of this method is that you capture all the on-screen captions, and you have a stable, constant bit rate stream with one encoding method.
  • The second method is to modify the Ryde program to output the stream produced by the integrated LongMynd receiver by UDP in exactly the same way as the Portsdown does. The disadvantage of this method is that the HDMI on-screen display just freezes and displays "LongMynd not loaded" (although LongMynd is loaded, it's just that Ryde can't tell). Also the outgoing stream is not constant bit rate or constant encoding, and does not have any of the Ryde status information superimposed. Edited to add that the "Valid Signal Received" detector is not activated either.
I had hoped to be able to implement a 3rd method, where the video and Ryde overlays were captured and then re-encoded internally, but this is not possible. The reason is that the Raspberry Pi (in fact the chipset it is based on) has been designed so that the VLC video image is not available to the internal system. This is to prevent the circumvention of HDMI copy protection.

So, for those of you who want to play with the second method above now, before we come up with a more elegant solution, you can edit one line, restart the receiver and try it. The line you need to edit is line 1307 in /home/pi/ryde/rydeplayer/longmynd.py. I suggest that you copy the current line, comment it out, and edit the copy as shown below:

Code: Select all

args = [self.lmpath, '-i', '192.168.2.184', '1234', '-s', self.statusFIFOfilename, '-r', str(self.tsTimeout)]
#                args = [self.lmpath, '-t', self.mediaFIFOfilename, '-s', self.statusFIFOfilename, '-r', str(self.tsTimeout)]
Substitute your desired destination IP address and port for '192.168.2.184', '1234'. You then need to save the edit and restart the receiver. I stress that this is at your own risk, and you will find that the Ryde is difficult to control (although QuickTune still functions well).

If it all goes horribly wrong you can do a Ryde update from the menu and it will correct your errors.

Thanks to Tim for some excellent code that was easy to modify!!

Dave, G8GKQ

g8gtz

Post by g8gtz » Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:34 am

Just an idea...

As an alternative, as the Portsdown DVB-S and T receiver can already provide a UDP stream, albeit without OSD, is it possible to have a headless Portsdown receiver boot straight into a pre-determined receive configuration?

And could an enhancement to provide RTMP be possible in the future?

Noel - G8GTZ

G7JTT

Post by G7JTT » Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:23 am

Firstly way out out of my depth here ! But could you not use v4l2loopback to setup the hdmi output as a video source then use ffmpeg to stream it ? I done something similar with OBS on the jetson, where I grabbed the output from OBS then iptsin to the Portsdown. This is the link I used https://github.com/umlaeute/v4l2loopback.

Still yet to build a Ryde another on the to-do list hi.

Stay safe John G7JTT

g0mjw

Post by g0mjw » Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:37 am

I think it's a matter of processing power. However the Advanced DATV receiver routes the received TS as UDP across the network or locally so for this application perhaps waiting a couple of weeks seems sensible.

Mike

Return to “The Ryde Digital ATV Receiver”