Where is the udp output stream on the wish list

Discussions about the Ryde "Set-top Box" Style Digital ATV Receiver. See https://wiki.batc.org.uk/Ryde_Receiver
G8GKQ
Site Admin

Re: Where is the udp output stream on the wish list

Post by G8GKQ » Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:12 pm

Let's not forget what some of us are trying to achieve here. A simple, reliable, solution for an all-digital repeater.

Re-encoding the HDMI output works, but does not seem to satisy the purists (although I can't really understand why).

There are a number of receiver solutions that will output the raw received transport stream as UDP. I favour the modified Ryde (described above) as that has been designed with repeater operation in mind. I could modify a Portsdown receiver to boot to receive, but that would not achieve anything more than a modified Ryde.

What needs to be resolved now is how the raw received TS is then re-encoded for transmission (with captions) at a remote site without user intervention. Let's use the receiver solutions that already exist as a basis for developing those re-encoding techniques. Then, once we have a reliable solution to the re-encoding problem, we can revisit the receiver debate.

Dave

Pa3fbx

Post by Pa3fbx » Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:26 am

Thanks for all great ideas...
You really got me to think deeply about this issue and i now will go for the capture option...
The stable video and OSD is something everyone wants...

To be more clear, i will make a twitch-O-Matic witch is a 2nd RPi with a hdmi to CSI-2 capture and will basicly push the HD video to a pre defined streaming server.. on the push of a button (eg controlled by the TS detection) So this will give me all the benefits of the ryde and will not stress the receiving RPi. and switches the stream only online if any TS is received..

It may not be the cheapest solution but will give me all the room for future changes and updates...

But still a UDP output on a muticast ip adress is a big + for the ryde, even without the OSD...
Next a separate OSD display without a received TS is also some idea... (basically what Portsdown will do when using the UDP option...)

Best regards
Benno

g8gtz

Post by g8gtz » Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:31 am

Hi Benno,

I think you are right that HDMI with the OSD is the way to go for the moment and I beleive Dave is looking again at HDMI capture devices for Portsdown.

There is an option in the Portsdown to use it as a headless streamer for a repeater which is triggered by a GPIO line.

https://wiki.batc.org.uk/Repeater_Streaming

Noel - G8GTZ

Return to “The Ryde Digital ATV Receiver”