Strange Ryde shutdowns since latest updates...

Discussions about the Ryde "Set-top Box" Style Digital ATV Receiver. See https://wiki.batc.org.uk/Ryde_Receiver
dl9sec

Strange Ryde shutdowns since latest updates...

Post by dl9sec » Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:42 pm

Hi,

yesterday I updated my Ryde receiver via the menu with the development version.

Ryde seems to run very well after the update, QO-100 runs for about an hour or one and a half in the background.
Then I saw, that the screen suddenly shows the console. I logged in via SSH and started thge receiver and it runs normally.
I rebooted from the console and Ryde starts up normally.
Today the same. After about one and a half hour the receiver quits and the console appeared.

Any ideas? Is there a special log I can take a look at (syslog and dmesg doesn't show no anomaly).
Maybe it has to do with the latest OS updates, I think there wasn't much activity at the receiver itself...

Thank you.

73, Thorsten

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Re: Strange Ryde shutdowns since latest updates...

Post by G8GKQ » Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:56 pm

Hi Thorsten

Using a Dev release is not a good idea unless you have been specifically notified that it is ready for testing. Quite often it is in a broken state while I build something that works. On this occasion the Dev release has been stable since 25 Jan, and is identical to the current production release.

I did an update on my test system this afternoon, so it is at the latest standard of operating system and Ryde updates. It has now been displaying the beacon continuously for 4 hours with no problems. So I do not know what is causing your problem.

You can get diagnostic information by starting Ryde in a terminal window:

Code: Select all

cd /home/pi/ryde
python3 -m rydeplayer /home/pi/ryde/config.yaml
If it crashes, the report will be displayed as the last thing on the terminal. I would suspect a faulty USB or HDMI lead, or a power supply problem. Hope that you can find the cause.

Dave, G8GKQ

Return to “The Ryde Digital ATV Receiver”