Ryde build thread

Discussions about the Ryde "Set-top Box" Style Digital ATV Receiver. See https://wiki.batc.org.uk/Ryde_Receiver
radiogareth

Ryde build thread

Post by radiogareth » Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:52 pm

It all started with 'sorting out some boxes' when I happened on a new plastic clam-shell that I must have bought from Farnell at some point. My station Ryde is currently a 'bare minimum' build involving a IR sensor, one resistor and a standard RPI 3-D printed case. A quick eyeball suggested that things might just fit in the box, so work commenced. As portable ops are planned, 12VDC in was standardised so no opportunity to overvolt the RPi. As none of my HDMI monitors have speakers (including the /P laptop screen with aftermarket driver) it seemed a good idea to include an audio amp and speakers, as per my earlier Portsdown4/Langstone build. A reprint of the speaker grill proved it would fit 'like it was planned' so the spares pile was raided for another pair of surplus flat-screen telly speakers. A fan was added although the RPis doesn't seem to have to work that hard but as I had one in it went. 12 to 5.2 was sorted with an eBay SMPSU. Audio amp is a little tiny class D unit that I used in the PD4. As it includes an on/off volume and two channels, its ideal.
There were several front panel prototypes, finally having to forsake vertical alignment of the Vol pot. As per my other pieces, I have a DC available LED, then the two Ryde Lock/ON units. The back panel has a uHDMI to HDMI cable, secured into the 'hood' by two small (2.2x6) stainless self-tappers.
Internal audio is from the RPI jack, with one line edited in the Ryde code to make that work. At some point it would be easy enough to add a Phono-out for Video, should I have to go 'really portable' and use a small video screen ex-reversing camera.
This is the audio amp I used....https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PAM8403-Mini ... 2749.l2649
Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this capability :-)
Gareth G4XAT
Ryde_both.jpg
Ryde_both.jpg (110.31 KiB) Viewed 1797 times
Ryde_lid.jpg
Ryde_lid.jpg (96.75 KiB) Viewed 1797 times
Ryde_base.jpg
Ryde_base.jpg (123.58 KiB) Viewed 1797 times
Ryde_back.jpg
Ryde_back.jpg (82.5 KiB) Viewed 1797 times
Attachments
Ryde_front.jpg
Ryde_front.jpg (70.7 KiB) Viewed 1796 times