Ryde Update With Support for QO-100 Quick Tune

Discussions about the Ryde "Set-top Box" Style Digital ATV Receiver. See https://wiki.batc.org.uk/Ryde_Receiver
G8GKQ
Site Admin

Ryde Update With Support for QO-100 Quick Tune

Post by G8GKQ » Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:05 pm

Thanks to some excellent work from Tim MW0RUD and Rob M0DTS, Quick Tune and Ryde now work together. So you can have Quick Tune running on your Windows PC, and have it control up to 4 Ryde receivers on the same network.

The get this latest version of Ryde (202101260) log in to the SSH console and type menu. Use the arrow keys to get to the Update option, select it and follow the instructions. The update should preserve your remote control selection, but will restore the "factory" presets, so you may need to reset your QO-100 LNB LO frequency. Those of you who have edited your presets may want to save your preset file beforehand and manually edit the details back in to the new file.

You can download Version 1.21b (or later) of Quick Tune from here: https://github.com/m0dts/QO-100-WB-Live ... /tag/1.21b. After starting it, you need to enter the IP address of your Ryde, and click on the drop-down to select the QO-100 band. Quick Tune will then use the QO-100 settings from your Ryde.
RQT.PNG
RQT.PNG (40.39 KiB) Viewed 4256 times
The new Ryde release also includes 7 new remote controls. These are listed on the Wiki here https://wiki.batc.org.uk/Ryde_remote_co ... l_Handsets. It also adds some very basic DVB-T functionality in preparation for the BATC "Knucker" DVB-T tuners. The NIM Modules for these tuners are currently being manufactured in China, and there are none available in the UK at present. We do not have an estimate of when they will be available, so please don't ask! The DVB-T option will not work with a normal MiniTiouner.

Tim has also added some additional network controls for the Ryde. Take a look here if you want to play https://github.com/BritishAmateurTelevi ... -interface

It's been a while since there has been a Ryde update, so the system updates may take up to 10 minutes. Please be patient!

Please report any bugs with the new release here.

Thanks to Tim and Rob for all the new functionality, and to the contributors of Remote Control codes.

Dave, G8GKQ

MW0RUD

Re: Ryde Update With Support for QO-100 Quick Tune

Post by MW0RUD » Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:48 pm

My thanks to Rob and all the testers on this release, this is a much requested feature and I'm glad we got it out there fairly painlessly.

I have only added the bare minimum network endpoints to get current projects working so far. If you are working on something that needs some existing Ryde functionality or data exposing please file an issue in the usual place. I am keen to support people to write code so I don't have to :lol:

And now a quick tease for an interface that wasn't ready in time for this release:
netremote.png
netremote.png (65.52 KiB) Viewed 4233 times
Tim MW0RUD

G4FKK

Post by G4FKK » Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:22 pm

Hello chaps,

That works brilliantly - many thanks for all the work that went into that!!

@ Tim - you are a tease :D

73, Martin

radiogareth

Post by radiogareth » Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:39 am

Worked straight off the bat, an excellent effort :-)
Thanks
Gareth

Pa3fbx

Post by Pa3fbx » Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:47 pm

Works for me...
Great support. this is a big improvment voor the qo-100 users...

Thanks to all who put much time in this...

Best regards
Benno

dl9sec

Post by dl9sec » Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:32 pm

Really great stuff. Thanks for the efforts!

Now my 7yo son can watch QO-100 on his own :D

73, Thorsten

g0mjw

Post by g0mjw » Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:51 pm

It is indeed great. I had it controlling a winter hill prototype and a Ryde last night, hence the discussions on how to deal with more that 4 receivers. Not a problem for most. Yet.

Good to see your son is interested Thorsten. I recall that 7 year olds are much more adept than adults with new technology. For example in my day we children were the only ones capable of programming the video recorder.

Mike

G6GZH

Post by G6GZH » Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:54 pm

Here's a rough and ready hack of the networktest.py script which listens for the tuning messages from a Pluto spectrum monitor and converts them to tune a Ryde instead of a MiniTioune

Code: Select all

import socket, json

# Pluto UDP listen
UDP_IP = "0.0.0.0"
UDP_PORT = 8765

# Ryde network location
host = 'localhost'
port = 8765

sock = socket.socket(socket.AF_INET,socket.SOCK_DGRAM)
sock.bind((UDP_IP, UDP_PORT))

while True:
    data, addr = sock.recvfrom(1024)
    list = data.decode('utf-8').split(",")
    list.pop(0)
    res = dict(item.split("=") for item in list)

# get bands
    getBandsReq = {'request':'getBands'}
    bandsSocket = socket.socket(socket.AF_INET, socket.SOCK_STREAM)
    bandsSocket.connect((host, port))
    bandsSocket.sendall(bytes(json.dumps(getBandsReq), encoding="utf-8"))
    bandsResp = bandsSocket.recv(1024)
    bandsSocket.close()
    parsedBandsResp = json.loads(bandsResp)

# tune to QO-100
    band = parsedBandsResp['bands']['QO-100'] # use returned band named "QO-100"
    setTuneReq = {'request':'setTune', 'tune':{'band':band, 'freq':int(res["Freq"]), 'sr':int(res["Srate"])}}
    tuneSocket = socket.socket(socket.AF_INET, socket.SOCK_STREAM)
    tuneSocket.connect((host, port))
    tuneSocket.sendall(bytes(json.dumps(setTuneReq), encoding="utf-8"))
    tuneResp = tuneSocket.recv(1024)
    tuneSocket.close()

#print(tuneResp)

vu3obr

Post by vu3obr » Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:12 am

Working Great...My thanks to all..

Saro
VU3OBR

g0mjw

Post by g0mjw » Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:41 am

I have just done a dev update. Not sure I needed to but best to be at the current version. Can I add a screen saver to the wish list? I am a bit concerned that the Not Locked or the mute symbol will burn into my HDMI screen if it's left on all day.

I am in the process of updating my Portsdown 4. Unfortunately I don't have any locals to test with, but I will keep it off the satellite!

Mike

Return to “The Ryde Digital ATV Receiver”