Ryde Tuner Input Switching

Discussions about the Ryde "Set-top Box" Style Digital ATV Receiver. See https://wiki.batc.org.uk/Ryde_Receiver
G8GKQ
Site Admin

Ryde Tuner Input Switching

Post by G8GKQ » Mon Dec 14, 2020 4:14 pm

A clarification about the Tuner Input Switching on the Ryde.

The short clarification is that the current version of the Ryde cannot switch tuner inputs whilst it is scanning different frequencies, even if those frequencies are in different "amateur bands".

The long clarification follows:
  • Each Ryde "Band" has a defined name, Local Oscillator offset, LNB Voltage (if fitted), Tuner Input, and GPIO band setting.
  • Each Ryde "Preset" has a defined name, "Ryde band", frequency or scanning frequencies (max 4) and SR or scanning SRs (max 4).
So a Ryde can only scan 4 frequencies within one "Ryde Band", and thus can only use one tuner input. There is no constraint on the frequency range of a "Ryde Band", so scanning frequencies can be in different amateur bands, but unfortunately, only one tuner input can be used.

The simple solution for Ryde repeater receivers is to use a frequency dependent combiner (similar to what used to be used to combine Band 2 and Band 4 broadcast signals), and feed 2 or more bands into one tuner input.

Dave, G8GKQ

g8lce

Re: Ryde Tuner Input Switching

Post by g8lce » Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:13 am

Hi Dave,
I can see that now but:
I have been scanning across the top and bottom inputs using the top for 437 and the bottom for 1249 at 333k and 2m SR on one preset (1255 custom).
It is how I am testing the GB3NQ Ryde repeater RX and it has been working well in testing.
I know I could use a combiner on one input but it did not not seem to be needed.
Must be some signal getting through the system!
I will now work on combiners! Should not be too difficult as there are pre-amps and filters before it in each aerial feed.

Martin G8LCE

PS. I could give a step by step details how I did this if it helps.

g8lce

Post by g8lce » Thu Dec 17, 2020 10:11 am

So having noted Dave's explaination I am going to use one of these:
tv-satellite-duplexer-combiner.jpg
tv-satellite-duplexer-combiner.jpg (12.49 KiB) Viewed 2312 times
Which cost very little!

https://www.cabledepot.co.uk/tv-satelli ... goQAvD_BwE

Martin G8LCE

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Post by G8GKQ » Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:27 pm

Hi Martin

There is some crosstalk between the inputs. That was probably why it seemed to work for you. The combiner should be a good solution.

Dave

Return to “The Ryde Digital ATV Receiver”