READ THIS BEFORE REPORTING FAULTS

Discussions about the Ryde "Set-top Box" Style Digital ATV Receiver. See https://wiki.batc.org.uk/Ryde_Receiver
g8lce

READ THIS BEFORE REPORTING FAULTS

Post by g8lce » Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:24 pm

I have been testing Portsdown and now Ryde software over the years and while testing the new version of Ryde I had numerous funny little 'faults' happen. Things like the software not working as well after setting up things or crashes and stopping. This was during many experiments to see what it would do and many reloads of the SD cards, ugrades and down grades. It might be that the Ryde software does not clear out all the sd card data on upgrades etc.
So read on....

I have found a few answers to a lot of ‘faults’ It has taken me most of the morning but the two things I have found which might cure all are:

!) When powering off/on just don’t take the power away from a working Ryde. Shut it down from ssh or the programmed GPIO.

2) If using a pre-programmed SD card to load up RPi software– one that you have tried other things or versions - on before, put it into a camera etc to format it. Windows formatting is NOT the way.

Martin G8LCE

g4hiz

Re: READ THIS BEFORE REPORTING FAULTS

Post by g4hiz » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:25 am

I too found that re-programming an sd card numerous times appeared to make it not work properly. In my case, I used 'sd formatter' downloaded from the internet, to refomat it. The card was then re-used successfully for my Portsdown 4.

The Ryde certainly is a great DATV receiver and has been worth all the effort. Many thanks to the team behind all the s/w and h/w !

Jen G4HIZ

g8gtz

Re: READ THIS BEFORE REPORTING FAULTS

Post by g8gtz » Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:36 am

I like the title of this thread!

There's a lot of questions being asked on the forum that have been answered before - before you post please try searching for the answer.

As I just said on another thread:
The search facility on the forum is not the best but if you type something like "BATC forum xxxxxx" in to Google you will get all the info you need without using up more of Dave's time which is better spent writing code!
Alternatively watch some of Martin's videos which cover the basics :-)

Noel

Return to “The Ryde Digital ATV Receiver”