Ryde First Start Query

Discussions about the Ryde "Set-top Box" Style Digital ATV Receiver. See https://wiki.batc.org.uk/Ryde_Receiver
MW0RUD

Re: Ryde First Start Query

Post by MW0RUD » Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:58 pm

Hi Nick,
You can have a fully functional system without the GPIO board, you just can't control it. Longmynd should load and either give you a "Not Locked" message or your default signal (qo-100 beacon by default).

Can you try running ryde manually again and see if you get a different error from last time, I think we might be chasing 2 issues

Code: Select all

cd ryde
python3 -m rydeplayer /home/pi/ryde/config.yaml
Tim

Nick

Post by Nick » Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:22 pm

Hi Tim,

Results of test.

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ cd ryde
pi@raspberrypi:~/ryde $ python3 -m rydeplayer /home/pi/ryde/config.yaml
pygame 1.9.4.post1
Hello from the pygame community. https://www.pygame.org/contribute.html
Namespace(**{'Config File': '/home/pi/ryde/config.yaml'})
[None]
/home/pi/RydeHandsets/definitions
Request Frequency: 10491500
IF offset: -9750000
Symbol Rate: 1500

--width 640 --height 480 --codec ffmpeg
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/lib/python3.7/runpy.py", line 193, in _run_module_as_main
"__main__", mod_spec)
File "/usr/lib/python3.7/runpy.py", line 85, in _run_code
exec(code, run_globals)
File "/home/pi/ryde/rydeplayer/__main__.py", line 20, in <module>
player.run()
File "/home/pi/ryde/rydeplayer/player.py", line 643, in run
newplayer = player('config.yaml')
File "/home/pi/ryde/rydeplayer/player.py", line 493, in __init__
self.vlcStartup()
File "/home/pi/ryde/rydeplayer/player.py", line 635, in vlcStartup
self.vlcPlayer = self.vlcInstance.media_player_new()
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'media_player_new'
pi@raspberrypi:~/ryde $

This was with just the Pi4 using an official Pi4 PSU, the minitiouner plugged in a USB2 port, the network connection and the HDMI monitor in the connector nearest the power input.

The monitor is still in safe mode.

Wish I understood all these messages - must try and learn the operating system....

Regards,

Nick.

MW0RUD

Post by MW0RUD » Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:32 pm

Hi Nick,

That is a little more insightful, I have a suspicion your card may not have built correctly and there are things missing (in this case the bits of VLC), this could have been caused by any number of things including voltage issues or just bad luck.

Can you try rebuilding the card with it running off the official Pi4 PSU to make sure the power is good?

Tim

Nick

Post by Nick » Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:41 pm

Hi Tim,

We are going shopping tomorrow so I will obtain a new SD card and make a new build.

Will post here how I get on.

Regards,

Nick.

Nick

Post by Nick » Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:58 pm

Hi Tim,

I found an old SD card for portsdown and formatted it using SD Card Formatter and rebuilt the software.

Now I don't get the Longmynd not loaded message, but still no Ryde screen.

Running the command you gave above results in:-

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ cd ryde
pi@raspberrypi:~/ryde $ python3 -m rydeplayer /home/pi/ryde/config.yaml
pygame 1.9.4.post1
Hello from the pygame community. https://www.pygame.org/contribute.html
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/lib/python3.7/runpy.py", line 193, in _run_module_as_main
"__main__", mod_spec)
File "/usr/lib/python3.7/runpy.py", line 85, in _run_code
exec(code, run_globals)
File "/home/pi/ryde/rydeplayer/__main__.py", line 17, in <module>
from rydeplayer import player
File "/home/pi/ryde/rydeplayer/player.py", line 22, in <module>
import rydeplayer.states.gui
File "/home/pi/ryde/rydeplayer/states/gui.py", line 18, in <module>
from PIL import Image
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'PIL'
pi@raspberrypi:~/ryde $

Its differnt from before.

Regards,

Nick.

Nick

Post by Nick » Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:20 am

Hello,

Got somewhat further with this. I use the 3G network on Three for my internet connection as my TalkTalk connection is very slow. Decided to disable 3G and use TalkTalk.

I used my SD card that would not work, logged in via putty and followed the following instructions on GitHub page:-

wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/davec ... ll_ryde.sh
chmod +x install_ryde.sh
./install_ryde.sh -d

When I restarted the Pi I was rewarded with the Oscar 100 beacon on the monitor. The RX OK led was lit and buttons worked OK, so it looks like the Three network was corrupting the downloads, although it worked OK when I created a Portsdown 2020 card with Buster just a few weeks ago. Very strange.

I now logged in via putty and set my remote to Samsung 32".

Not all the controls would work. Mute was OK, but volume buttons do not work and menu would not bring the menu up. If I activated the menu from the button then the up, down, left, right buttons on the remote work and the return button on the remote removed the menu display.

If I now restart the Ryde I get the beacon OK but the RX OK led does not now light up and the buttons no longer work. To get them to work I have to log in via putty and start the receiver from the menu.

I assume the buttons and RX OK led should work as a stand alone system without logging in, so how can I correct this ?

It seems that selecting the remote stopped them working.

Regards,

Nick.

MW0RUD

Post by MW0RUD » Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:39 pm

Hi Nick,
Glad you fixed the main problem. It was sounding like an issue with the build, and there were probably error during the build but they can he hard to spot if you don't know what you are looking for.

Volume buttons don't work for anyone yet, its on the list.

Sounds like you are having no luck, you may have config file corruption but restarting the receiver shouldn't fix that so I'm not sure what is going on, Dave may have some ideas.

Tim

Nick

Post by Nick » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:28 pm

Hi Tim,

Many thanks for your reply.

Just done another build, starting from a used SD card.

I formated the card using SD Card Formatter from https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter/, and re-instlled the system.

I disconnected from the Three 3G network and connected with TalkTalk landline.

I then completed the installation with

wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/davec ... ll_ryde.sh
chmod +x install_ryde.sh
./install_ryde.sh -d

The last stage was slow due to our internet speed, it took around 45 minutes.

The RX OK led is now OK and buttons work without having to have the network connected, so its looking good. It must be that the last 3 stages above will not work correctly using the Three 3G network, even though the speed is quite good. Thing is the build of Portsdown 2020 was done on 3G network and it works OK.

I set the remote using the Menu (I see its changed since the other day as the software has been updated) to the Samsung 32" TV and menu button will not bring up the menu, but the other buttons work OK. The remote is a genuine Samsung one as in the photo on the Wiki.

My next step will be to use the program to define a new remote and add it to the file and see if that will work. Now need to read and understand how to do it.

So in summary, it looks like the Three 3G network was the main cause of my problems - why I don't know.

Now require a case for the receiver and a nice small 11"(ish) monitor to use with it - the TV is a bit big...

Regards,

Nick.

MW0RUD

Post by MW0RUD » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:59 pm

Hi Nick,
Excellent news.

Its odd that it works for the portsdown but not ryde as the build processes share a lot of code, mobile data companies have an annoying habit of doing unhelpful things to data on their network.

Your select button not working is most likely either a mistake by whoever added the remote in the first place or there are 2 versions of the remote, you should be fairly obvious how to correct it from the instructions for setting up new remotes. Please post your correction in the remotes thread so we can fix the library.

Tim

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Post by G8GKQ » Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:50 pm

Hi Nick

There was an error in the Samsung remote definition file that Malcolm G0UHY has just found. I have now corrected that, so you could do an update from the ssh console menu (you will need to force it as you probably already have the latest version of the main program) and the Menu button should work.

Dave

Return to “The Ryde Digital ATV Receiver”