New Ryde Software Version with On-Screen Info

Discussions about the Ryde "Set-top Box" Style Digital ATV Receiver. See https://wiki.batc.org.uk/Ryde_Receiver
G8GKQ
Site Admin

Re: New Ryde Software Version with On-Screen Info

Post by G8GKQ » Sun Nov 08, 2020 6:11 pm

An update on this latest Ryde build.
  • Tim G4WIM has located the source of his "black screen" lock-up. It was a Pluto that was powered up elsewhere in the shack transmiitting by default on 1249 MHz with a "No Video" caption. So perhaps the Ryde was being too sensitive?
  • Justin - please could you try amending the line gpu_mem=128 on /boot/config.txt to gpu_mem=256 and see if that helps with the 4K problem?
  • If people are getting corrupted config files, please could they let me know the change that caused the corruption? I can then go back into the console menu design and try to fix it.
  • I will correct the error in the ssh console menu that suggests that the LO frequency is normally below the signal frequency for the 3.4 GHz band (although it is actually set correctly).
  • I have been unable to reproduce the low sensitivity problems, but have observed interference from the HDMI cables affecting the tuner inputs in the past.
Dave, G8GKQ

G8YTZ

Post by G8YTZ » Sun Nov 08, 2020 6:27 pm

Showing issue with HD signal not in correct aspect ratio
Showing issue with HD signal not in correct aspect ratio
IMG_1650.jpg (974.2 KiB) Viewed 3694 times
I think the 4k issue was me getting confused with the preset issues, however the issue I am seeing is shown above.

BR

Justin

G8YTZ

Post by G8YTZ » Sun Nov 08, 2020 6:48 pm

The link below shows an issue with very slow lock on a strong signal (video)

https://youtu.be/m73jRAkieUU

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Post by G8GKQ » Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:43 pm

Hi Justin

I have reproduced the problem that you were having entering 3404 MHz tuning frequency with a 5150 MHz LO above the signal frequency. I think that it is a calculation error in the prgram - all our testing has been on low side LOs. We'll look at getting that fixed.

The 20 seconds to lock-up is excessive. However I am concerned that you may have had some multipath on the signal as it dropped out a few times after lock. Signals seem to lock in about 3 seconds on my build here. Please could you try it on a clean RF feed?

Dave

G8YTZ

Post by G8YTZ » Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:24 am

OK Dave, I'll get back to you with some more testing. Multipath is highly probable, one LNB is in the loft and is distributed via a loft box antenna distribution system and one is sitting on the study (shack) windowsill. The lock time is ok on the Sat finder and on the built-in tuner on my Sony TV is fine, so perhaps there could be a performance enhancement at some stage. My guess is that multipath is not such an issue with low symbol rate DVBS-2 signals though, I'm currently running at 2MS/s and FEC 4/5 - I'm experimenting with different FECs on the Tx.

G3UEQ

Post by G3UEQ » Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:25 pm

Hi Dave
Just like to say thank you, the new version works fine both on my Minitioune V2 and Pro versions.

Andy

G3GJA

Post by G3GJA » Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:46 pm

I've now had time to do some more checks and I can confirm that the sensitivity is down with this release.

If I reduce the input signal to the point where it doesn't quite lock with an MER of 6dB or just under so that the report is D0 or -D0.7 and then transfer that signal to a standard v2 Minitioune it reports an MER of 11.4dB and a report of D4; a perfect locked picture.

I'm using a Lime Mini as the source which is set to 1275MHz, 333kS/s, 8PSK, H264, FEC 2/3. The Minitioune reports a -91dBm signal which would be about right considering the 95dB of attenuation plus cable and connector losses.

One thought came to mind; I'm using a v2 Minitioune that is fitted with the early Serit tuner, i.e., the 5 suffix version. There was a mod in an earlier release to make this work with the Ryde. Has this mod been missed in this release?

Before I upgraded to this release there was no discernible difference between the two receivers but now the Ryde is at least 4dB down.

Clive G3GJA

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Post by G8GKQ » Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:54 pm

Hi Clive

The sensitivity of the early Serit tuners will always be lower than the more recent ones as the older tuners are not fitted with the preamp IC.

The software mod was one that allowed the older tuners to work with Ryde and not have the application terminate when LongMynd threw an error message that it could not find a preamp. So if your older tuner is working, the software mod is there!

Would you be able to do a sensitivity check using the older Serit tuner with Windows MiniTioune? A comparison between Windows MiniTioune and the Ryde using the same (old) tuner would be very useful to prove whether there is an issue. Unfortunately, I do not have one of the older tuners to test with.

Thanks

Dave

G3GJA

Post by G3GJA » Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:14 am

OK Dave, I'll try that later today.

Clive

Patrice

Post by Patrice » Fri Nov 13, 2020 1:07 pm

Hi Dave,
Thank you very much to all amateur's radio was developed the Ryde software. This is exactly what I need for F1ZHF ATV and DATV relay.
I have a request concerning the futur evolution, is it possible to add DVB-T2 Lite mode (1.7MHz BW)?
Serit made a nim DVB-S & S2 &T2 with 8 to 1.7MHz BW, or to use the PI hat tv receiver (only DVB-T & T2).
DVB-T2 is an excellent modulation to use in mobile and when there is too much echo, like a town.
BBC R&D was testing this mode.

Thank you very much again to all developer

73's Patrice F1NSU

Return to “The Ryde Digital ATV Receiver”