Ryde Receiver + QO100 Live Tune

Discussions about the Ryde "Set-top Box" Style Digital ATV Receiver. See https://wiki.batc.org.uk/Ryde_Receiver
m0lte

Ryde Receiver + QO100 Live Tune

Post by m0lte » Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:18 am

Good morning

I find that MiniTiouner is stuttery whereas Longmynd is perfect, and I'd prefer a Linux solution on receive anyway.

However, Longmynd isn't really convenient to use standalone, so I'm building a Ryde Receiver. However, IR remote control isn't particularly what I'm after either.

Just a thought, is it feasible to implement a UDP listener on the Ryde Receiver which emulates MiniTiouner's UDP control, so that QO100 Live Tune (point and click tuning) can be used?

Cheers
Tom M0LTE

PS we'll be running this up at Gilwell Park, UK national Scout HQ, at the weekend for a fully remote Jamboree on the Air 2020.

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Re: Ryde Receiver + QO100 Live Tune

Post by G8GKQ » Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:09 am

Hi Tom

Yes, UDP control is on the requirements list https://github.com/eclispe/rydeplayer/issues/3, but hasn't reached the top of the pile for implementation yet.

So unfortunately the feature won't be available for Gilwell JOTA this weekend. Hope all goes well.

Dave, G8GKQ

m0lte

Post by m0lte » Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:34 pm

Thanks Dave. I guess my prep day tomorrow will involve scrounging a remote and IR module from somewhere then! That or cobble together some buttons from somewhere.

Many thanks
Tom

PE2JKO

Post by PE2JKO » Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:28 pm

Hi,

I am also using the Longmynd software on RPI4 succesfully. Works really well, but was also missing the easy tuning utility (QO-100 WB Quick tune). I didn't want to change anything in the longmynd source, so for the time being I used a different approach by installing Node-Red on the RPI4 and created a flow which decode the UDP string from the Quick Tune utility, then write the important information to 3 files (frequency and samplerate and A/B-port) and then run a shell which reads this 3 files and start Longmynd with the values stored in the 3 files. Works for me.

The Node-Red flow is simple, first split all parameters, then switch the output so only frequency and samplerate , then split again to get rid of the freq= string so only frequency is left. Write this to file, same for Samplerate, and then run the shell. See example of the shell.
If somebody wants that Node-Red flow, then I can send it.

#!/bin/bash
#
# Start Longmynd via Node-red, by JK

freq=`cat /home/pi/freq`
sr=`cat /home/pi/sr`
b_input=`cat /home/pi/b_input`

sudo killall longmynd
sleep 1
sudo /home/pi/longmynd/longmynd $b_input -r 10000 -i 192.168.2.241 5555 -I 127.0.0.1 4444 $freq $sr &

PS, I also created a MQTT interface which publish data from LongMynd. If you are interested please let me know, This MQTT data is displayed again in Node-Red.

dl9sec

Post by dl9sec » Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:18 pm

Hi,

Quick Tune v1.2b seems to support Ryde control now.
Any hints how to configure? Is it already supported in Ryde?

Thank you in advance.

73, Thorsten DL9SEC

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Post by G8GKQ » Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:37 pm

Thorsten

Thanks to some great work from Tim, I hope to release his new Ryde build that supports Quick Tune in the next day or so.

Dave

AdrianH

Post by AdrianH » Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:28 am

Not sure if of any assistance to Tom the original poster, but I use Longmynd under Linux and can control it with either robs Quick tune or recently with the spectrum graph in the F5OEO Pluto web page (latest version).

The benefit of using the spectrum display is I no longer need Mono to run Quick tune. Anyway information on what I do is here:- viewtopic.php?f=101&t=6594

It is basically a script I run to allow control from the web page. It also starts Totem or VLC and stops them all when selecting a new signal. Sorry if not relevant.

Adrian

dl9sec

Post by dl9sec » Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:40 am

G8GKQ wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:37 pm
Thorsten

Thanks to some great work from Tim, I hope to release his new Ryde build that supports Quick Tune in the next day or so.

Dave
Hi Dave,

that sounds great, thank you very much.
Looking forward to the next version :-)

73, Thorsten

g0fcu

Post by g0fcu » Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:39 pm

Last weekend I amended longmynd to listen for UDP messages from Rob's QuickTune program (running under wine on Linux).

When I can work out which version of longmynd on Github (I think I've found 4 so far) is the best to update I'll issue a pull request to merge the changes into that version.

It really does make channel hopping on QO-100 much less hassle!

Simon
G0FCU.

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Post by G8GKQ » Sun Jan 31, 2021 8:20 pm

Simon

The reason that there are a number of LongMynd versions on GitHub is that I have to keep configuration control of the versions in the Ryde and the Portsdown whilst still encouraging leading edge development of the application. In many cases, this leading edge development would break integration with Portsdown or Ryde.

The latest Ryde version is at https://github.com/BritishAmateurTelevi ... r/longmynd

The latest Portsdown version is at https://github.com/BritishAmateurTelevi ... c/longmynd

Note that the latest Quick Tune communicates with the latest Ryde over TCP (not UDP) out of the box - so I don't think that you need to do anything.

Dave

Return to “The Ryde Digital ATV Receiver”