Front Panel Buttons Update for the Ryde

Discussions about the Ryde "Set-top Box" Style Digital ATV Receiver. See https://wiki.batc.org.uk/Ryde_Receiver
G8GKQ
Site Admin

Front Panel Buttons Update for the Ryde

Post by G8GKQ » Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:32 pm

I have just released a new version of the Ryde DATV Receiver Software. The new features include:
  • Provision for connection of 10 front panel buttons (of which 8 are now functional) to control the receiver without a remote control. The connections for the buttons are defined here: https://wiki.batc.org.uk/Ryde_GPIO_Connections.
  • Provision of a "locked" signal on one of the GPIO pins to allow switching of repeater inputs.
  • Increased Audio level from the RPi jack when selected.
  • Increased allocation of GPU Memory to allow the use of 4K displays.
  • Support for the older FTS-4335 NIMs (without LNAs) that were sold by the BATC shop.
  • More functionality added to the SSH Console Menu.
To get the new release, either build a new card, or enter the ssh console menu and select "check for update". After updating you will need to re-enter the ssh console menu to select your chosen Remote Control. The Configuration file has undergone major changes, so it has not been possible to preserve your previous selection

A custom PCB to go on the RPi 4 GPIO Header has been designed, and test samples ordered, with a view to stocking them in the BATC Shop.

Thanks to MW0RUD, G4KLB, G8YTZ, G8XZD, G4EWJ, G8GTZ, M0DNY, M0HMO and all the other contributors to this project.

Please report any bugs with the new version here, but please check the Issues List https://github.com/eclispe/rydeplayer/issues first to see whether we already know about it.

Dave, G8GKQ

G1BVI

Re: Front Panel Buttons Update for the Ryde

Post by G1BVI » Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:26 am

A front panel is now available on the BATC shop to facilitate the 10 buttons.

This links to the wikki page
https://wiki.batc.org.uk/Ryde_Hardware#Ryde_front_panel
This specifies the switches used but the RS part number listed does not exist and there is a whole rahge of B3F switches to chose from :-)

I think the part number should be RS 686-6907

This is a B3F-1070

Nick
G1BVI

g0mjw

Post by g0mjw » Fri Aug 21, 2020 9:59 am

The parts I ordered were Omron B3F-1070 and are RS stock number 686-6907.

Mike

G1BVI

Post by G1BVI » Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:42 pm

Thanks for confirming and updating Wikki page Mike.
Ordered a board
Is the LED polarity marked on the panel?

Nick

g0mjw

Post by g0mjw » Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:46 pm

Only in the symbol.

DL5BCA

Post by DL5BCA » Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:24 am

Hello,

I am currently assembling the GPIO breakout board.

I have not yet worked with IRs and I am a little confused.

The wiki says: "The + ve should be connected to a 3.3v supply via a suitable resistor (typically 100 ohms) and the output is connected directly to pin 11 of the RPi GPIO port".

Now on the breakout board as well as on the front panel board there is no resistor for the power supply of the IR.
There are two resistors (R2 + R3) for the output signal. I bought TSSP4P38 here, which can be operated from 2.5-5.5Volt.

R2 creates a clear ground level.

But how should / must I dimension R3?
73 Thomas
DL5BCA

g8vpg

Post by g8vpg » Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:35 am

If your IR sensor works on 3.3V, there is no need for any resistors on the output. If it requires 5V to operate, the resistors are used to reduce the output to 3.3V. The Pi GPIO pins work at 3.3V and inputting 5V might damage the Pi. This is how I have interpreted the Wiki, which I found to be worded a little confusingly, and it works well.
73 Shaun.

DL5BCA

Post by DL5BCA » Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:45 am

Hi Shaun,

thanks for the answer.

Update: IR supply with 3.3volts. I put R2 47k and brigde R3. It works well.
73 Thomas
DL5BCA

g0mjw

Post by g0mjw » Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:17 am

Last edited by g0mjw on Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SV2RR

Post by SV2RR » Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:54 pm

g0mjw wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 11:17 am
This is because we had to make provision for people using unknown, unspecified, 5V sensors. The PI can't withstand 5V so a voltage divider is needed for the 5V signal. If you have a 3.3V sensor, you don't need that divider and can run the sensor off the 3.3V supply and connect its output directly to the GPIO. You could use a link to bridge the series resistor but I think it's best to use a resistor to avoid "accidents" causing damage. Use judgement, look up the input and output impedance, do the maths, or if that's too hard just use 4.7k as that will most probably work OK. Leave out R2 entirely as it isn't needed with a 3.3v sensor.

The reason there is no simple guide to this is that all the different sensors, especially the older ones, have different drive capability and output resistance. We could have done something more complicated or we could have mandated a standard sensor. That stops these sort of questions arising, but the downside is that prevents choice and one would hope anyone experienced enough to attempt a build substituting junk box parts would be familiar enough with electronics design to make appropriate adjustments to match the parts they have.

Mike

Edit - I had hoped this was very clearly explained in the Wiki already https://wiki.batc.org.uk/Ryde_GPIO_breakout and I can't find the text you are referring to above.
- I am a little bit confused, if i will use a 3.3V IR sensor, i must leave out R2 entirely and use a link to bridge the series resistor or is optionally can use the R3 4.7k?
- The Ryde GPIO6.png indicates R4=10K, i think the value is very high to use it for power a led. Is this a mistake?

Greg, SV2RR
Greg, SV2RR

Return to “The Ryde Digital ATV Receiver”