Longmynd not loaded - Solved

Discussions about the Ryde "Set-top Box" Style Digital ATV Receiver. See https://wiki.batc.org.uk/Ryde_Receiver
radiogareth

Re: Longmynd not loaded - Solved

Post by radiogareth » Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:22 pm

If it helps development in a desired direction I have a currently unused MTPro2 sitting in its bag. Nothing other than the NIM connected but AFAIK it should 'fly' as is - its onlt LEDs and an OLED, possibly not required to make it work. Maybe wait until the postal bedlam has passed before entrusting it to a delivery service although it could go UPS next day (send Monday) if someone wants something to 'do over christmas'.
Message me if it would help.
Gareth

G4EWJ

Post by G4EWJ » Sat Dec 19, 2020 12:16 am

I have an MTProV2, but not a Ryde. I tried it with LongMynd and I didn't get any errors. I don't have an antenna connected, so I don't know if it will actually receive anything. I'll put an antenna on tomorrow.

Brian

dl9sec

Post by dl9sec » Sat Dec 19, 2020 7:55 am

Hi Dave,

thank you (and the other guys) for the replies.

I saw, that Ryde was made for the MT v2, but I thought that the FTDI path and the NIM are the same at the MTP v2.

I did some further tests yesterday evening and changed the remot control handset in the config.yaml to see what happens wit the VOL and CHAN (it was before you replied) and by chance longmynd started and i got a perfect decode of the beacon.
I would bet there is a timing problem or a race condition at NIM init.

I really appreciate Ryde as an alternative to the Minitiouner software.
Let me know if I can support with tests or debug output or so.

Thank you.

73, Thorsten

g0mjw

Post by g0mjw » Sat Dec 19, 2020 10:39 am

I have one - but I never tried it with Ryde as that's not what it is intended to support. It has two USB connectors. Important to use the right one. It might be using slightly different firmware in the FTDI module.

Mike

dl9sec

Post by dl9sec » Sat Dec 19, 2020 3:19 pm

When I comment out the lines 114..117:

Code: Select all

if ((val & STVVGLNA_REG0_IDENT_MASK) != STVVGLNA_REG0_IDENT_DEFAULT) {
    printf("ERROR: failed to recognise LNA ID %i %i\n",input,val);
    err=ERROR_LNA_ID;
 }
in stvvglna.c of longmynd and rebuild, Ryde starts and decodes perfect with MinitiounerPro v2.

So the LNA init of the FTS-4434L seems to work a bit different than that from the Minitiouner v2.

73, Thorsten

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Post by G8GKQ » Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:23 pm

Thanks for finding that Torsten

Which Tuner input socket are you using? The one nearest the connector pins (B) or the one furthest from the pins (A)?

I seem to recall something about a difference there.

Also, for reference, which USB socket are you using on the Tuner PCB?

Dave

dl9sec

Post by dl9sec » Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:21 pm

Hi Dave,

I am using tuner input A and the USB master.

73, Thorsten

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Post by G8GKQ » Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:14 pm

Thanks Thorsten

Added to the FAQ until we code in a solution. https://wiki.batc.org.uk/Ryde_FAQ

Dave, G8GKQ

dl9sec

Post by dl9sec » Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:20 pm

Hi Dave,

thanks, sounds good.

In the meantime I am not sure, if my problems are maybe caused by a defect of the NIM, so it would be great to get a feedback, if the problem exists at other MTPro v2 too.
I took my MTPro v2 and checked the PCB and the soldering and maybe found some tin hairs, maybe causing problems (or not).
Unfortunately after cleaning the PCB, the NIM wasn't recognized anymore. The I2C subsystem basically seems to work, but the demodulator of the NIM doesn't give the correct response to the init. So it seems I killed my NIM (maybe by ESD or whatever) .

Long story short: Currently I cannot do any further tests until my MT v2 and NIM arrives from GB, which seems currently to last a little bit longer than usual :(

I wish you happy holydays.

73, Thorsten

g0mjw

Post by g0mjw » Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:36 pm

That sounds very much like a dry joint somewhere. Have you checked the lines with a scope? Also check you have the correct I2C resistors fitted. Can you take a photo of the bottom of the PCB?

Return to “The Ryde Digital ATV Receiver”