Ryde receiver and the Minitoune software

Discussions about the Ryde "Set-top Box" Style Digital ATV Receiver. See https://wiki.batc.org.uk/Ryde_Receiver
G4GHD

Ryde receiver and the Minitoune software

Post by G4GHD » Wed May 11, 2022 9:03 pm

Just got a Ryde up and running, but it's not locking to signals which the old Minitoune software (v0.8) is usually fine with. Or at least locks on, even if no video is displayed.
The beacon's not locking on either, but I gather that's the case for everyone these days. I've tried changing the LNB offset in the Ryde, but that's not made any difference, it's the default in the old software and other values just deteriorate locking, so it would appear to be already bang on frequency.

As the Longmynd receiver is based on the Minitoune software, I'd expect comparable results, but that's not the case for me. Note though that I use version 0.8 of the Minitoune software, as later versions always gave worse results for me, failing to lock, especially on lower bit-rate signals. I haven't located a version history for the Minitoune software, so I've no idea if there were any significant changes beyond just the addition of new features.

Any suggestions are welcome, thanks.
Last edited by G4GHD on Fri May 13, 2022 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Re: Ryde receiver and the Minitoune software

Post by G8GKQ » Thu May 12, 2022 8:23 pm

Hi

You should always be able to get a lock on the beacon - It's just that the video sometimes breaks up.

I suggest that you check that you have the right MiniTiouner input ocket in use. Try swapping the cable.

What RF power level do you have indicated on the Ryde? Does it change when you connect/disconnect the LNB cable?

LongMynd is an independent development and not based on the MiniTioune software. However it's performance at SRs of 66kS and above is as good.

Dave

G4GHD

Post by G4GHD » Fri May 13, 2022 1:02 pm

Thanks for the reply Dave.

The correct socket is in use, a different cable makes no difference.

Power reading is about -60dBm. With no LNB cable connected, it's about -97dBm.

Thanks for the correction on LongMynd, I thought it was a reversed engineered version of the MiniTioune software.

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Post by G8GKQ » Fri May 13, 2022 3:18 pm

I'm running out of ideas, but worth making sure that the tuner input cable is not anywhere near the HDMI display cable as I have seen interference from HDMI.

What LNB LO frequency are you setting in MiniTioune?

Dave

g0mjw

Post by g0mjw » Fri May 13, 2022 3:43 pm

What type of LNB is it?

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Post by G8GKQ » Fri May 13, 2022 3:55 pm

One more thing:

Try measuring the LNB voltage when in use - is it the same for MiniTiouner and Ryde?

Dave

G4GHD

Post by G4GHD » Fri May 13, 2022 4:22 pm

I use a PC satellite card to power the LNB, so the voltage is the same for both.
I'm using a 1.2M dish, which is fully aligned.

Note that the Minitoune software (v0.8) locks to the beacon instantly, but no video or video is displayed. Oddly, later versions of the software (I haven't tried them all) fail to even lock. All with the same settings...
Although it's left me baffled, I've never been too bothered by this, as v.08 works fine, albeit lacking a few of the later features.

Return to “The Ryde Digital ATV Receiver”