Pluto not responding

Forum for discussion about the Langstone Microwave Transceiver that shares some features with the Portsdown. Wiki: https://wiki.microwavers.org.uk/Langstone_Project
OE8PCK

Pluto not responding

Post by OE8PCK » Sat Dec 31, 2022 12:59 pm

I am using a Portsdown4 and Langstone combination. When I start Portsdown all is Ok. When I then switch to Langstone using the menu in Portsdown 4 the Langstone starts but for the first few say 20 seconds I get the screen message "PLUTO NOT RESPONDING". Then all appears to be OK.
Is this problem known or does anyone have an idea what I can check. The voltage supply to the Pluto and RPI is 5.1V.
I have tried searching the Forums but this specific problem does not appear to be raised.

radiogareth

Re: Pluto not responding

Post by radiogareth » Sat Dec 31, 2022 1:49 pm

See page 32 of the latest CQ-TV, there is a fix there.
The Pluto is a lot happier at 4.9V (or even 4.8) but the RPI complains if you go below 5V.
Adding a Schottky diode in the positive lead to the Pluto seems to fix it.
I have just done this mod to mine, I can't find my 1A diodes so cannibalised a SS54 from a u/S SMPSU (5 amp device which showed a Vf of about 0.25 at low current multimeter test).
My RPI sits at 5.15 and the Pluto so far is entirely happy.
I am using short ANKER brand USB leads and its the RED wire that carries +5V, as you would hope....
Good luck.
Gareth

G3GJA

Post by G3GJA » Sat Dec 31, 2022 4:04 pm

Powering the Pluto from the dedicated micro USB power socket is an alternative to fitting the diode. Stability is excellent.

Much easier to implement too.

Clive G3GJA

OE8PCK

Post by OE8PCK » Sun Jan 01, 2023 1:02 pm

Many thanks for all the suggestions, I will give it a try.
73 and a HAPPY NEW YEAR.

Return to “The Langstone Microwave Transceiver”