Devices attached and USB combinations

Forum for discussion about the Langstone Microwave Transceiver that shares some features with the Portsdown. Wiki: https://wiki.microwavers.org.uk/Langstone_Project
F1HDI

Devices attached and USB combinations

Post by F1HDI » Sun Oct 02, 2022 7:54 am

On two rev 1.5 rpi4b4 I found that only one USB setup is working for the 3 devices attached to them ( pluto+ , sound card, mouse).
Otherwise you are getting a pluto not responding or a long.py not found.

The setups here are rpi4b4, one with a 7" display and the other one with a 5,5" DFR display. They both are equiped with an aluminium+fan heatsinker.

By the way I didn't succeed in connecting eth without disturbing the overall functioning, which is very strange.

The RPIs are powered directly with "strong" 5v on GPIO ports through a GPIO 2x20 connector.
I made a clean integration of the 7" within the "genuine" 7" plastic case. The 5,5 is going to be used on my microwave setup, so aluminium work is ongoing to build a box which matches the space left ( 150x105x180) ... and everything must go "inside ... .

USB mapping is a little bit constraining but my main concern is eth as I need to remote access to the rpi.

Any ideas?
Jean-Marc

g4eml

Re: Devices attached and USB combinations

Post by g4eml » Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:41 am

The USB port assignment should not be critical and the ethernet should work OK.

I suspect your problem is due to the Pluto's known sensitivity to supply voltage. Several people have found that it does not work correctly with a 5V supply. It seems to be more reliable with less than 5V even though this is unusual for a USB device.

It goes against most recommendations, but reducing the supply voltage may fix your problem. However going too low may affect the Pi.

One person recently reported that cutting the positive supply wire in the USB cable to the Pluto and inserting a series diode fixed a similar problem.

viewtopic.php?f=103&t=8038&p=31492&hilit=Diode#p31452

Colin G4EML

F1HDI

Post by F1HDI » Sun Oct 02, 2022 1:48 pm

Hi Colin,

Do you mean reducing the Pluto supply voltage ?. My pluto is a pluto+ model and ( https://github.com/plutoplus/plutoplus ) and I fedd it through the connector you could see on the top right of the PCB (ptt, gnd , 5v) and not through the usb port. I can easily put a diode in serie externally to drop 0,6v, but, again, this is the not the USB port which is feeding the power supply to the pluto+ .

Do you think it is worth the effort and do you see any effect on eth ?.

Best regards
Jean-Marc

BTW how could I send you privately an url where a livedemo of our esp32/keyer/beacon/... is reachable ?.

F1HDI

Post by F1HDI » Sun Oct 02, 2022 1:59 pm

Hi,
Just few more tests, if I plug the eth when system is live, the waterfall freeze. If I try to reboot the rpi , I ,eth connected,am 100% getting a langx py error.
I am a little bit at lost

JM

g4eml

Post by g4eml » Sun Oct 02, 2022 3:37 pm

All the symptoms you describe sound like the Pluto is not responding.

I don't know anything about the Pluto+. Certainly the standard Pluto is more reliable if the supply voltage is reduced. In your case that would mean reducing the power supply.

The other possibility is that there is something strange about your ethernet network. If there is a lot of traffic it could be swamping the Pi. Or it could be that there is an address clash with the Pluto.

The Pluto when connected via USB sets up a virtual network on 192.168.2.x. If your ethernet network is using the same range of addresses it could cause a problem.

Colin.

F1HDI

Post by F1HDI » Sun Oct 02, 2022 5:24 pm

Found the culprit !

eth1, inherited from the pluto conf was in the same subnet than eth0 and wlan0. Not good at all.
I put the plutot host and pluto address in another subnet, here we go.

Back to work ...
73 Jean-Marc

g4eml

Post by g4eml » Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:26 pm

That's good that you found the problem.

It is not always obvious that the Pluto actually sets up a network when it is connected by USB.

Colin.

F1HDI

Post by F1HDI » Tue Oct 04, 2022 3:44 pm

HI Colin,
The culprit is myself as the pluto+ has an embedded ethernet interface which I was willing to play with and use the pluto+ remotely.

Another question, I am monitoring the langstone raspberry testbed with rpi monitor. There were two reason motivating this : a)insure that the active heatsink I put on the board was ok b)understand how stable are the langstone processes

When doing portable, it is common to get freezed by the wind or burnt by the sun, the equipments, mainly the final PA are also heating the system so I need to have some reliabilty ... With the actual heatsink, I a seeing a 35°C when the room is at 20°C so it is fine

I frequently find the langstone setup frozen after a hour or a couple of hours (over night) and am wondering why. See the load profile on my rpi testbed.
Nothing special, RPI4B4Go, 64Go ultra from Sandisk, build as shown on github, 7" screen on my testbed (5,5DFR on my future portable setup) , generic mouse , generic sound adapter, pluto+

Are there any log traces I could have a look in to understand which process (at least the GUI but it could be a consequence of other threads)

Kind regards
Jean-Marc
Attachments
load monitoring on Langstone7 rpi4B4
load monitoring on Langstone7 rpi4B4
Langstone7.jpg (94.9 KiB) Viewed 8928 times

g4eml

Post by g4eml » Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:52 pm

All of the log files are in the /tmp/ directory.

However they don't contain much, so are unlikely to be of much help.

The heaviest load on the processor is the .py file which runs the GNU Radio flowgraph.

Colin.

Return to “The Langstone Microwave Transceiver”