CAT for Langstone

Forum for discussion about the Langstone Microwave Transceiver that shares some features with the Portsdown. Wiki: https://wiki.microwavers.org.uk/Langstone_Project
F1HDI

CAT for Langstone

Post by F1HDI » Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:29 am

Just building a Langstone transceiver with RPI4B4+DFR0550 screen+PlutoPlus , it took me very few time to make it work as soon as I realized that my RPI4 rev1.1 won't meet the config need (as long as you attach a mouse + usb audio card + usb to pluto+, no joy the device is not booting). So I guess this issue has been already explored, don't attempt to build a unit with rpi4 rev board <1.2.

I am doing microwave traffic ( 6 & 3cm), using a FT817 as IF on 432MHz and with some friend we developped a ESP32 based module which add beacon lists frequencies QSY, "roger beep", beacon mode to the 817/818. For this we talk to the 817 through CAT and need the following features :
- read current VFO freq and mode
- set current VFO freq and mode
- monitor PTT status (this one ca be done on langstone without CAT by using the physical GPIO sig)

Would it be possible to have either a langstone API or a kind of "yaesu CAT" restricted command set supported by Langstone through the serial I/O of the RPI4 ?

I am ready to code the interface as long as langstone exhibits an API to read and set current VFO freq and mode

Open to discussion,
BR
Jean-Marc

g4eml

Re: CAT for Langstone

Post by g4eml » Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:42 am

I haven't heard of any issues with using early Pi4 boards. As far as I am aware any Pi4 should work.

It should be possible to add a CAT interface to Langstone and it is on my 'to do' list. I am not sure when I will have the time to do it though.

Colin.

F1HDI

Re: CAT for Langstone

Post by F1HDI » Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:29 am

Hi Colin,

Glad CAT is on your todo list.
If I may :
- I made a (monkey) survey early september on our "hyperFr" list of active microwaves users and it confirmed that Yaesu CAT transceivers are the main TRCV used for IF (ft817/ft818) , so I would push for a "kind of emulation of Yaesu CAT" for the langstone trcv . I would be keen to point out to you the very few cat commands which would cover the major "hyper" ham needs.

- If there are ways (API, pipes) to get/put some comments to the langstone trcv, I guess I can help & write a process to "convert those APIs calls to/from cat commands", I am your guest.

If you have few spare time I would love to show you a demo of our ongoing project and you will kickly understand why I am pushing strong on the cat support ... ( drop me a mail f1hdi at orange dot fr and I'll send you a url where the system is "live".

Thank you
Jean-Marc

Return to “The Langstone Microwave Transceiver”