successful build and Lang_RX.py not responding

Forum for discussion about the Langstone Microwave Transceiver that shares some features with the Portsdown. Wiki: https://wiki.microwavers.org.uk/Langstone_Project
Paul_01

successful build and Lang_RX.py not responding

Post by Paul_01 » Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:39 pm

Just to say that over the weekend I put together all the hardware and finally was able to install all the software described in Github.
One comment from someone new to this is a hint that an additional file had to be added to the SD card boot disk to set up the wifi access.
I know it must be obvious if you have done this many times, but not if it is a first. I eventually found a very useful description on the web.
I now have the Lanstone Microwave Transceiver running on the pi but I get the following message

Lang_RX.py not responding - also probably related no noise comes out of the headset.

I would welcome any helpful suggestions/comments

Thanks
Paul M1BKL

g4eml

Re: successful build and Lang_RX.py not responding

Post by g4eml » Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:05 pm

There are no instructions for using wifi because it is intended that you use a wired connection. Using Wifi on a radio transceiver is probably not a good idea for interference reasons. Having said that I don't think it would stop it from working, but I have never tried it.

I have just built a fresh SD card following the Github instructions and confirmed that the build process still works correctly. However you are the second person to say they have had problems recently so there may be some other problem that I can't reproduce here.

Please try the fault finding tips in the included file https://github.com/g4eml/Langstone/blob ... 0Notes.txt

That should help to identify why the Lang_RX.py program is not starting. Specifically the output from the command 'python Lang_RX.py &'

The most common problems are usually due to using a different USB sound device to that recommended or a changed Pluto IP address.

Colin G4EML

Paul_01

Post by Paul_01 » Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:50 am

Hi

Thanks for the reply.
I looked in the Diagnostic note as you suggested and ran the 3 proposed tests and found that it did not recognize my sound card.
So having changed that it now works fine.
A small question - what editors are included in the build?

Regarding the wifi I am not sure that I explained myself very well. My only use of the wifi connection was to implement the build and run the
diagnostic tests.

My next task is to implement a build for QO-100 and I see that some work as been done on this.

Thanks again for your help and great software.

Paul M1BKL

g4eml

Post by g4eml » Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:15 pm

Hi Paul,

I am happy that you got it working.

Text editors nano and vi are available for small changes. For larger changes I do them on my PC and then copy then across using filezilla.

QO-100 is supported by the current software.
If you set different Tx and Rx offsets the 'SAT' annunciation will appear on the top line. There will also be a 'MONI' button which allows you to listen to the downlink while transmitting.

Set the Tx Offset to -8089.5 MHz and the Rx Offset to -9750.0 MHZ. Then set the dial to 10489.600
That will result in a transmit frequency of 2400.1 MHz for the uplink and a receive frequency of 739.6 MHz for the LNB output of the downlink.

Colin.

Return to “The Langstone Microwave Transceiver”