Lang_TX.py failed to load

Forum for discussion about the Langstone Microwave Transceiver that shares some features with the Portsdown. Wiki: https://wiki.microwavers.org.uk/Langstone_Project
M5TXJ

Re: Lang_TX.py failed to load

Post by M5TXJ » Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:21 pm

Thanks Dave,

I just can't get Langstone to work at all after installing from M2. I may be completely wrong but I get the impression that when the screen flickers after tapping "Install Langstone" and the button goes green but nothing else happens could be the clue. Perhaps I'm getting an error message that's just too quick to see?

73 Dave
...are you sure I can't use a pair of 813's?... :shock:

g4eml

Post by g4eml » Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:37 pm

Dave GKQ,

Don’t put too much effort into his yet, concentrate on your many other priorities!
I will have a look at it this evening and hopefully will be able to reproduce and identify the problem. I have made a few minor changes to Langstone recently, it may be that one of them is clashing with Portsdown.

Colin G4EML

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Post by G8GKQ » Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:23 pm

Hi

I have found one bug Portsdown-side. If you use the "Restore Langstone" button on the Portsdown "Langstone Config Menu", it loads an old copy of the Langstone config file that is no longer valid. I will remove this function in the next Portsdown update.

I cured this with:

Code: Select all

cd ~/Langstone
mv Langstone.conf  Langstone.conf.old
./build
sudo reboot now
Most other problems that I managed to reproduce were associated with being impatient. Make sure that the Portsdown has finished transmitting before switching to Langstone - remember that it over-runs for about 20 seconds on Test Card or Desktop. This will also be cured in the next Portsdown update. If things don't seem to be working reboot the Pluto or the whole system.

Dave

M5TXJ

Post by M5TXJ » Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:17 pm

Hi Dave,

What I'm experiencing from start to finish...

Format SD card (Sandisk Ultra 16Gb, any one of 3).
Write Buster image.
Add SSH file.
Install Portsdown 4 via Putty.
System boots (no Lime found message)
Select output to Pluto.
M2 - Reboot.
On restart, M2 - tap Install Langstone.
Button turns green, screen flickers then returns to Langstone menu with green install button.
Wait approx 1 minute, tap Install Langstone again.
Either a repeat of screen flicker or Langstone appears to install.
M2 - switch to Langstone, fails to load and flash of "failed to load Lang_Tx.py" before return to Portsdown.

I've tried unplugging, RTL, USB hub, sound dongle and mouse pcb at different times during the install, and in different combinations. I can build either Portsdown 4 or Langstone as stand alone and both work. I've even monitored the supply volts during the while process, I'm truly baffled.

73 Dave

g4eml

Post by g4eml » Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:45 pm

I have just completed a fresh build of Portsdown. Then added Langstone from the M2 menu. Everything worked as expected. I can switch between Portsdown and Langstone OK.

I think the problem you may be having is that you are selecting the install more than once.

When you press the install button the screen will flash and the button will turn green.
You must then wait several minutes while Langstone Installs. Do not press the button again.
Apart from the green button there is no confirmation that the install is underway.
The System will reboot when the install is complete.

I am not sure if Dave can change this so that it is not possible to press the green button a second time. Or maybe give some sort of progress message indicating the install is underway.

Colin G4EML

M5TXJ

Post by M5TXJ » Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:51 pm

Thanks Colin, I'll try to calm my enthusiasm and give it another go...

73 Dave.

g4eml

Post by g4eml » Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:51 pm

Although it is working I did find a different bug.
If you have transmitted DVBS using the Pluto then the first time you switch to Langstone the receiver is not working.
Switching back to Portsdown (which reboots the Pluto), waiting one minute then switching back to Langstone and all works OK.

I suspect that this is something to do with the DATV firmware in the Pluto, it looks like once it has been used for DVBS it doesn't work normally.

Currently I think we are rebooting the Pluto when exiting from Langstone but I am not sure if we are doing that when exiting from Portsdown.

Colin

M5TXJ

Post by M5TXJ » Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:54 pm

Colin,

With due reverence to John Aaron, "you sir, are a steely eyed missile man"

You can make things foolproof but not 'TXJ proof it seems.

73 Dave.

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Post by G8GKQ » Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:14 pm

Colin, Dave

Thanks for all the investigations. The next Portsdown update already includes some Pluto reliability improvements, but I will add (in this update or the next):
  • "Install in progress" message for Langstone install
  • Pluto reboot on switching from Portsdown to Langstone, with "Reboot in progress" message
  • "Reboot in progress" message for the existing Pluto reboot on switching from Langstone to Portsdown.
The Pluto reboot takes about 18 seconds, but will be worth it for the reliability.

Dave

M5TXJ

Post by M5TXJ » Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:20 pm

Dave

I'm really hoping I'll get to CAT this year so you'll be able to kick my backside for causing so much agro!

73 t'other Dave

Return to “The Langstone Microwave Transceiver”