Lang_TX.py failed to load

Forum for discussion about the Langstone Microwave Transceiver that shares some features with the Portsdown. Wiki: https://wiki.microwavers.org.uk/Langstone_Project
M5TXJ

Lang_TX.py failed to load

Post by M5TXJ » Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:11 pm

Hi folks,

My Portsdown 4/Langstone build was progressing fine until my SD card corrupted. I built a new card and reloaded all the software as per the instructions, just as previously. However, I now get the "Lang_TX.py failed to load Check your sound card configuration" message flash up and the system reverts to Portsdown. I've tried running the set_sound diagnostic and also building a different new SD card with the same result. The sound card was working before the corrupted card issue and is still working with Portsdown. I'm at a loss, any clues gratefully received.

73 Dave
...are you sure I can't use a pair of 813's?... :shock:

g4eml

Re: Lang_TX.py failed to load

Post by g4eml » Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:22 pm

Just to make sure everything is still working as expected I have just built a fresh SD card following the Github instructions and it worked first time.

So that means something in your install must have gone wrong.

The Lang_TX.py load can fail for several reasons, not only the sound card.

cd Langstone
./stop

wait about a minute to allow time for the Pluto to reboot.
then enter

python Lang_TX.py

This should test the file on its own. You should get see one message

gr::log :INFO: audio source - Audio source arch: alsa

That is normal. If you see anything else then it should point to where the error lies.

If you see an error like 'Unable to find Host' or 'Unable to create Context' then that is indicating a problem with the Pluto.

Colin G4EML

M5TXJ

Post by M5TXJ » Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:54 pm

Hi Colin,

Thanks for that, I've done as you said and this is the result! I hope this gives a direction to follow.

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "Lang_TX.py", line 11, in <module>
from gnuradio import analog
ImportError: No module named gnuradio

73 Dave.

g4eml

Post by g4eml » Fri Mar 12, 2021 3:19 pm

Hello Dave,

That looks like the gnuradio package did not install.

Are you building from my Github instructions or are you installing Langstone from the Portsdown Menu?

I tested my Github Install script and it worked fine for me last night.

You could try installing gnuradio manually with the commands:

cd ~
sudo apt-get -y install gnuradio

Colin.

M5TXJ

Post by M5TXJ » Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:40 pm

Hi again Colin,

I had installed Langstone from the Portsdown menu, just I have done previously.

I ran the gnuradio install script just as you described which seemed to go fine. After rebooting and selecting Langstone from the Portsdown M2 menu I get the loading screen but the system then hangs. I will build another card and then install Langstone with the github script in the next few days, keeping my fingers crossed.

Thanks for the help, it's really appreciated.

73 Dave

g4eml

Post by g4eml » Sat Mar 13, 2021 3:39 pm

Hello Dave,

I am not sure if you can install Langstone on a Portsdown system using my install script, that was designed for a stand alone system. Dave G8GKQ would have to comment on that.

The Portsdown Install should still work OK, I haven't changed anything in Langstone that should affect that.

Colin.

M5TXJ

Post by M5TXJ » Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:35 am

Hi Colin,

Struggling to get anywhere with this, I've tried everything I can think of. I can build a Langstone card following your Github instructions and it works fine.
If I build Portsdown 4 it also works fine yet if I go to menu 2 and install Langstone from there, I'm back to square one. Something I've noticed though is when I tap the "Install Langstone" button it turns green, the screen flickers and then returns to M2 with the same green button, it can take 3 or 4 taps to start installation, each time with a screen flicker. Eventually the installation starts. I think this is one for Dave.

73 Dave.

g4eml

Post by g4eml » Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:18 am

Hello Dave,

The integration with Portsdown is under Dave’s control. I run separate systems so I do not have much experience of running them together. However if I get the time I will try building a dual system and see how it goes.

Colin.

g8gtz

Post by g8gtz » Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:23 am

Hi

I have just tried to run my Pluto on a P4 install that had not run Langstone before - Portsdown worked with Pluto OK and then I installed Langstone.

After the install, Langstone would not run and returned you to Portsdown.

However, the Portsdown had then lost the Pluto - going to select output, Pluto was greyed out. Selecting anything else makes the Pluto green next time or selecting Pluto, even though it was greyed out, a number of times and it eventually went green.

Then going back to Langstone had the same effect – the error message on the splash screen on Langstone is too quick so I can’t tell you what it said – but I think it said could not load Lang_Tx.py Any chance that could wait on error message until you tap the screen??

Going straight back into Langstone reports it cannot find Pluto.

Portsdown system info reports Card 1 USB audio, Device 0 USB audio.

Hope this helps.

Noel

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Post by G8GKQ » Wed Mar 24, 2021 4:06 pm

Hi

I'm working my way through finding the cause of this bug. It does not happen every time, but it appears if you transmit DVB-S2 with the Portsdown, then select Langstone, there is a flash of the error message "Lang_TX.py failed to load. Check your sound card configuration."

Sometimes Langstone works OK.

Portsdown will never work straight after switching from Langstone, as the Pluto is rebooting. Give it 20 seconds before trying anything. I'm hoping to add an indicator for this.

More details to follow.

Dave

Return to “The Langstone Microwave Transceiver”