"3D Sound" USB audio adapter

Forum for discussion about the Langstone Microwave Transceiver that shares some features with the Portsdown. Wiki: https://wiki.microwavers.org.uk/Langstone_Project
g3yjr

"3D Sound" USB audio adapter

Post by g3yjr » Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:33 pm

I've installed Portsdown4 and Langstone.

I've ordered the recommended audio adapter, but while I wait for it to arrive, I tried a working "3D Sound adapter". It looks like https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EXTERNAL-VIR ... Sw56RexnLT.

I ran Sound_Test which listed:
hw:CARD=Headphones,DEV=0
hw:CARD=Set,DEV=0

and amended Lang_RX.py and Lang_TX.py and restarted Langstone. Running Sound_Test again via putty, it still says "Unable to find the default sound device". Does that mean Langstone is not using my adapter?

When I start Langstone, I don't get a "no sound adapter" message. I get the message: "Lang_RX.py Not Responding"

Graham
Last edited by g3yjr on Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

g0mjw

Re: "3D Sound" USB audio adapter

Post by g0mjw » Fri Oct 16, 2020 3:42 pm

These questions keep cropping up. Unless you are a programmer, it is best to stick to the standard hardware. Commands need to be exactly right to work and even a small mistake prevents things working. Hard to tell if you amended the files correctly. The first thing to try is - did you switch it off and on again? It may be simply that another process is still running preventing the new one from starting.

Mike

g3yjr

Post by g3yjr » Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:23 pm

Colin,

I just read your update to the post on diagnostics and ran set_sound as you suggested. I also unplugged the audio card from USB and made sure the Pluto is connected to a USB3 slot (as is Minitiouner).

Langstone boots to a waterfall display now. There is sound! I'm not sure what is different. Maybe the USB arrangement? Or maybe set_sound fixed something? Many thanks for all your work on this.

Mike, I'm not sure if I can claim to be a programmer. I programmed a bit on an English Electric KDF9 a while back and I might have picked up a few tricks since then. We are all learning. I dare say you and others on this forum go back even further!

73 Graham

g4eml

Post by g4eml » Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:11 pm

Sounds like you made an error when you edited the files manually. set_sound should reduce the chances of that.

g3yjr

Post by g3yjr » Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:53 pm

Colin,

I think I had in the Lang_RX.py file ...CARD=Headphones... and in Lang_TX.py ...CARD=Set..., but it seems in both files now ...CARD=Set..., so it looks like set_sound has sorted it.

Thank you to you and Mike for your responses.

Langstone is an interesting and exciting project.

I'll try operating the transciever.

73 Graham

g4eml

Post by g4eml » Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:14 pm

Card=Headphones is the Raspberry Pi audio output jack. That doesn’t work with Langstone. Both Lang_TX.py and Lang_RX.py need to have the same device.

Colin.

g3yjr

Post by g3yjr » Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:22 pm

Thanks Colin.

Incidentally, how might I direct the Portsdown4 output to the card? Or is that a question for another forum?

Graham

g4eml

Post by g4eml » Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:26 pm

I can’t answer that one, you would need Dave to comment on that.

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Post by G8GKQ » Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:52 pm

Hi Graham

There are multiple files to edit depending on which Portsdown output you want to send to the card. If you tell me which audio output you want (streamer, DATV Receiver, RTL-FM receiver.....), I can give you some pointers as to the files to edit.

Dave

g3yjr

Post by g3yjr » Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:14 pm

I have the standard USB dongle on order, but I'm using the "3D Sound" dongle in the meantime.

I now get Langstone audio output from this dongle. In Portsdown4, I set RX>Config to Audio out USB dongle, but the DATV receiver output didn't move to the dongle.

I'm trying to have just one audio output for both Portsdown4 and Langstone.

Graham
Last edited by g3yjr on Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “The Langstone Microwave Transceiver”