Debugging help needed

Forum for discussion about the Langstone Microwave Transceiver that shares some features with the Portsdown. Wiki: https://wiki.microwavers.org.uk/Langstone_Project
G3GJA

Debugging help needed

Post by G3GJA » Sat May 16, 2020 4:14 pm

My Pluto had not been used for a while and had been moved to a 192.168.4.x subnet, the reasons for which have since become obsolete, so I updated the firmware to v0.31 and reverted to the default 192.168.2.1 & 192.168.2.10 addresses. Wide coverage and the 2nd CPU core are enabled.

Mouse, eBay sound USB Pluto (rev. B hardware) and Ethernet are connected. The build completes without generating an error in the SSH console and the Raspberry Pi reboots. The loading screen displays for a minute of so before the terminal prompt "pi@raspberrypi:~$" appears in the bottom right of the loading graphic.

Following the Debug instructions, only the GUI is running. The other TX and RX programs are not. I then killed the GUI and ran the process list to confirm that no process is running from the Langstone folder.

I then ran the RX program manually and got this:

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ cd ~/Langstone
pi@raspberrypi:~/Langstone $ python Lang_RX.py &
[1] 1048
pi@raspberrypi:~/Langstone $ ERROR: Unable to find host: Name or service not known
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "Lang_RX.py", line 239, in <module>
main()
File "Lang_RX.py", line 231, in main
tb = top_block_cls()
File "Lang_RX.py", line 45, in __init__
self.pluto_source_0 = iio.pluto_source('ip:192.168.2.1', 1000000000, 529200, 2000000, 0x800, True, True, True, "slow_attack", 64.0, '', True)
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/gnuradio/iio/iio_pluto_source_swig.py", line 126, in make
return _iio_pluto_source_swig.pluto_source_make(*args, **kwargs)
RuntimeError: Unable to create context

Not being a Linux user, this doesn't mean much to me. Here's the content of the Langstone folder:

pi@raspberrypi:~/Langstone $ ls
build GUI Lang_TX.grc splashload.bgra
ControlRX.py install.sh Lang_TX.py stop
ControlTX.py Lang_RX.grc Mouse.h Touch.h
'Debugging Notes.txt' Lang_RX.py README.md update
Font.h Langstone.conf run
Graphics.h LangstoneGUI.c splash.bgra
pi@raspberrypi:~/Langstone $

I'd very much appreciate some help with this please; after four rebuilds and not getting any further it's doing my head in!

Thanks

Clive G3GJA

radiogareth

Re: Debugging help needed

Post by radiogareth » Sat May 16, 2020 4:20 pm

I had similar issues, solved by plugging it all directly into my main house internet box/router (Virgin media Superhub). Elsewhere on the network it was missing something every build and was driving me nuts.
HTH
Gareth

G3GJA

Post by G3GJA » Sat May 16, 2020 4:28 pm

Thanks for the pointer Gareth

Unfortunately, I have a complex home network with three subnets, multiple VPNs to other sites on different subnets, three servers, two WAN IP addresses etc. so it's going to be fun sorting this out....

Clive

g4eml

Post by g4eml » Sat May 16, 2020 8:40 pm

Hi Clive,

You appear to have everything installed OK. The message ending 'Unable to create context' indicates that the Pluto has not initialized correctly or is not responding to the default address.
As people have found before, the Pluto seems to be very temperamental, and sometimes needs moving to another USB port or having external power applied.

Try " ping 192.168.2.1 " to make sure that it is connected and responding.

You could also try entering " lsusb " and making sure that there is an entry for an Analogue Devices device (the Pluto) as well as the mouse and sound dongle.

I have seen a situation where no USB devices were being detected apart from the two root hubs. I am not sure what causes this, I don't think it is anything to do with the Langstone installation. Usually a power cycle fixes it.

Colin G4EML

G3GJA

Post by G3GJA » Tue May 19, 2020 2:56 pm

Thanks Colin.

You were spot on. Although I had it plugged into one of the 'USB3.0' sockets on the Pi4 they're clearly not up to spec.

Independently powering the Pluto resolved the problem.

Clive G3GJA

g4eml

Post by g4eml » Tue May 19, 2020 5:40 pm

Hello Clive,

Glad you got it sorted.
The Pluto does draw quite a high current. Even a small volt drop on any cable can cause problems.
I have had it running OK on the Pi's USB3 port but it is much more reliable with a separate power source.

Colin.

Return to “The Langstone Microwave Transceiver”